Validation

by betty boop 2 Replies latest jw friends

• betty boop
    betty boop

I remember about a year ago there was a topic discussing the validity (sp?) of the bible. One person, whom i dont remember unfortunately, posted how there was proof somewhere that the Apostle John was high on poppy seeds during much of the time he was writing the book of Revelations, which might explain why he was seeing all those crazy monsters!

Has anyone heard of this? Are there any other little known facts like that u can throw my way? I like to have them handy when im having a discussion with a Dub....

Thanks!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've never heard of the Apostle John being high, but it would not have been on poppy seeds. According to the site below the seeds develop after the capsule has lost the opium-yielding potential.

http://opioids.com/poppy.html

Having tried opium back in the old days, I doubt it would have produced the visions John supposedly had. Maybe he just ate some ergot infected rye bread.

W

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'd be very careful using that line of reasoning with a bible believer, Betty. I've seen interesting speculation (and the words of Revelation certainly make one wonder) about drug use, but I don't think you'll find anything more than speculation; certainly not "proof".

FWIW, I don't think most believers are ready to think that far outside of the box... even if John was outside of his mind. ;-)

You might look up something called the Skeptics anotated bible, to find lot's of dubious-or-just-plain-wacky bible passages cataloged.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit