A true hero ...

by talesin 6 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin

Today is the 25th Anniversary of Terry Fox's courageous attempt to run across Canada.

Terry is a personal hero of mine. It was my privilege to run with him when he was in Nova Scotia, and I am so glad I did. It was one of those things that you do at the time, just because it feels right, having no idea what impact it will have on you, and something I will never forget.

It was a foggy, somewhat rainy day (lol, go figure!), and none of my friends wanted to be bothered to go out and support him. So I got on my sweats, and drove out to the #101 TransCanada Highway, and waited. It was a barren stretch of road, just off the Miller Lake exit, about 20 miles outside of Halifax, and I saw him coming over the hill. For anyone who has seen him on TV, you are familiar with his one-legged, hitching gait. As he came abreast of my parked car, I just joined and ran along with him for a few hundred metres. We didn't have any conversation, just a nod. When I got winded, I stopped, and waited till he was over the next rise. Then, I walked back to my car.

Back then, I didn't know the impact that Terry would have on so many people around the world, and on the fight against cancer. He is an inspiration for millions, and is one who inspires me today, in my current struggle for wellness and to have a better life.

To my little brother Shamus, who we rarely hear from, and all of you who are running today, and to everyone who takes the time to volunteer, or give your support to those in need, or someone like Terry, who is working hard to 'make a difference', I raise my glass.

Heroes of Lore and Yore

CANADIAN HEROES IN FACT AND FICTION

(1958-1981)
    "Somewhere the hurting must stop." — Terry Fox

A natural athlete, Terry’s studies in kinesiology were interrupted by his diagnosis with osteogenic sarcoma — a form of bone cancer — as a result of which his right leg was amputated six inches above the right knee. During his recovery he resolved to undertake a cross-Canada run to raise awareness of the suffering caused by cancer. On April 12 th , 1980 Terry Fox dipped his artificial foot into the Atlantic Ocean as he began his "Marathon of Hope". Then, on September 1 st , 1980, Terry's relentless pace was cut short by the progression of cancer to his lungs.

He died on June 28 th , 1981, one month before his 23 rd birthday. Terry's dream of collecting $1 from every Canadian was realized; the Marathon of Hope raised $24.17 million for cancer research.

Today, his heroic perseverance is commemorated through numerous awards, research grants, and an annual fund-raising run held in 60 countries in his name. (For copyright notice click on images)

On a personal note, I will be going offline sometime this week. If I'm not around very much, not to worry, you haven't gotten rid of me that easily. I'll pop in when I can, and will be remain in touch with my e-pals.

tal

• bebu
    bebu

Yes, I remember Terry Fox! Very, very inspiring young man.

What a great thing to have been able to run with him. That is really cool!!!!!

Tal, we'll keep a lookout for ya! bebu

• talesin
    talesin

bebu,

I have learned so much from you. Thank you for being my friend. I'm remiss as a penfriend sometimes (not my best quality) but will write soon.

xo & love you!

tal

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wow

What a fabulous memory to have

Don't be gone too long

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, Lee.

Yes, it just goes to show, that when we do things, we never know what kind of treasured memory we may be creating.

I wanted to add this,,, it's a PM I received from a lurking friend, and would like to share it with you all ...

My Hero as well, Hero is a hard word to define but for me he comes the very closest to fitting the bill.

Here is more for your thread if you like:

Terry ran about 42 kilometres each day no matter the weather – freezing rain, high winds, even snow. Skeptics thought he'd never make it past New Brunswick but he proved them wrong and Terry Fox became a household name.

He ran through Dartmouth, Charlottetown, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and a long list of places in between. When he wasn't on the move, he gave speeches that were often emotional, touching the hearts of many Canadians.

When August came along, Terry passed through Sudbury, the halfway mark on his journey west.

But on Sept. 1, chest pains and breathing problems forced him to stop running at a spot along the Trans-Canada Highway northeast of Thunder Bay. After 143 days and 5,373 kilometres, he announced he would have to postpone the rest of the run, saying "I'm gonna do my very best. I'll fight, I promise I won't give up."

He ran 143 marathons in a row, something that hasd never been dreamed of as possible...shows his determination and strength.
    RIP Terry
  • talesin
    talesin

• Quandry
    Quandry

I'm sure you made his day-great of you, too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit