Which Bible to get?

by Kat_ 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Kat_
    Kat_

Ooops! How did I end up posting this twice? Sorry! Is there a way to erase one of them?

I was just wondering: Never in my life have I owned (or even read) a bible other than the NWT. I really wish to study the bible but really do NOT wish to use this version. After seeing the plethora of bibles out there I was wondering if there is any person here who can give me an un-biased opinion on which bible to get. Most people I ask are telling me any bible will do. But I have noticed so many differences among the selection. I rented a KJV from the local library for now but before actually buying one I would like some advice. Are there any other versions where the words are translated so as to possibly give a different meaning? I know I ask the impossible--I've heard there is no 'perfect' translation of the bible. But I feel I need the most accurate translation possible to study properly and comfortably. Is there a universally acceptable, true-to-original-meaning (or as much as possible) bible? I keep hearing KJV is the way to go but I am now seeing so many other ones out there; it's so confusing! I would like to make an informed decision. For someone who was supposedly brought up in such a 'wise' religion (JW), I sure am ignorant about a lot of basic things!

Kat

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Asking the same question twice Kat? Doing it for emphasis?! Your'e not on the theocratic ministry school now dear....

Just select the little icon on the post with the little garbage can on it, that will let you erase (garbage can - you see - I'm appreciating the fact that you are American, normally I would just say bin!!!)

• MikeNightHaShev
    MikeNightHaShev

Here's a site where you can download a zip filed OT Bible
    (The Tanach)
    The Hebrew Translation is more accurate because there's no politics in trying to change words and meanings just to suit some placement of an icon in them. The tenses are also more acurate because once again they don't need to change them to fit their teachings like the NT bibles do.

http://shamash.org/tanach/text.html

• Kat_
    Kat_

Thanks for the help, IW...but when I tried it said my username ws not valid...only administrator or forum manager? (something or other)can delete... oh well...if one of the above reads this can you delete this post?

And thanks, Mike, for the info...I'll look into it.

Thanks,
    Kat

• gsark
    gsark

My first non-WT bible was the Jay P. Green Interlinear bible. It contains the name Jehovah, which I liked, plus the Greek and Hebrew and a literal translation which I found very interesting to read. It's a very pretty Bible as well. I don't know anything about its 'scholarly correctness' however.

A word of caution, tho...if you're looking to READ a bible such as this, try not to get the all-in-one edition like I did. It's Huuuuge. Were I to do it again, I would get a Bible like this in several parts. (Some bibles come in several different sections, as the NWT did once as well.)

There is a 'new' King James Version which I have heard good things about, and some other 'old' bibles with newer modern editions.

And, as mentioned above, some very good online versions, including an interlinear version(which, tho I don't know if you were supposed to do this, I was able to 'cut and paste' into a word file and so now I have the whole thing on my hard drive.) and also some very good audio bibles online too...WWW.Audio-bible.com which I've been using for a couple of years. Alexander Scourby has a yummy voice as well.

If you find any Bibles you like, please let us know? I would like to add to my collection.

Life is a roller coaster. Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on!

• Kat_
    Kat_

Thanks for the info Gsark. Coincidentally, I really do have a 'thing' for 'yummy' voices, so I just may check out the audio version you spoke of

Kat

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

There are two methods of Bible translation, literal and dynamic equivalalence. Literal translations attempt to capture the meaning of scripture word by word whereas dynamically equivalent try to capture the sense of what is being said in the passage. For example, a literal translation will translate the "It came to pass" bits because it's in the Greek, while a dynamically equivalent version will not bother because it doesn't change the English sense and just adds verbosity. NWT is a more literal translation (although not necessarily a good one!).

New International Version is dynamically equivalent whereas The New King James Version leans in the direction of literal translation.

I mention this because it may influence your decision on the basis of translation style, if such matters to you. There are a whole plethora of versions out there for each and every taste. I personally recommend getting hold of a cheap paperback copy of several versions and try reading the different ones until you get it right.

If you prefer less "meaty" but more readable versions, then the Contemporary English Version, New Century Version or New Living Bible could appeal to you. They tend to be dynamically equivalent, IIRC.

w99 9/1 18 Youths-Train Your Perceptive Powers!
    15 If you are dating, you are wise to avoid being alone with your prospective mate under inappropriate circumstances.

• Kat_
    Kat_

I didn't notice that this second (duplicate) post of mine was still here!

Anyway, that's why it took me so long to reply:

Thanks, steph, for the added info. I have actually come to the same conclusion of the advice you offered. I finally understand the differences (thanks to a wonderful, handy little diagram of sorts and article in the bookstore url that, I think, Quester pasted in a post in the other thread.) I have decided to get one literal, one middle dynamic (NIV is at the top of my list), and possibly, one of the more 'readable' versions like the basic NLT or The Book. The third, I think, would just be enjoyable to have; great for wanting a more contemporary feel.

Again, thanks for the input.

Kat

• 1 Peter 3:15
    1 Peter 3:15

1 Peter 3:15

Please do not post the same comments on multiple forums.

Craig

• Satanus
    Satanus

spammer.

SS

SS, thanks for the heads up. The duplicate posts have been deleted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit