A

by Dune 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dune
    Dune

This is interesting. I'm in school, have had parts in conventions and assemblies. And never ONCE has an elder come up to me and discouraged me about going to college. However, some of the ultra-fundamentalist piooner sisters and brothers have given me side comments and things of the sort. I've always reasoned that as long as the cant disfellowship me for it. They really have nothing on me. :-d

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good for you, stay strong! I am very proud of JW youth who stand by their convictions. Many of us (not raised by JW's) have wilted under much milder pressure, or even from parental indifference. We expect parental support as our due. You have no such reassurance, so must rely on your own internal fortitude.

You will go far.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

I didn't catch much flak for going to college except when I worked in service with pioneers. One older sister asked me, "You don't really need a full-time job, do you?" My only response was a surely-you-jest type chuckle and a "Yes, I do." She seemed put-off by such a response. I also got discouragement from the CO's wife. I was going to school for social work and psychology and she was trying to sell me on the idea that field service was a lot like social work. She also downplayed my life-long allergies: they weren't really as bad as I thought they were, hence I didn't really need serious health insurance.

I loved college - couldn't stand grade-school, but would do college again in a heartbeat.

• Es
    Es

Good on you stand your ground. Would you believe i got side comments of elders wives when i was a regular pioneer, they were actually encouraging me to get a full time job as it was wrong to expect my parents to support me!

es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit