Watch Tower sues Quotes for $100,000 plus plus plus...

by Quotes 354 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed
    paragraph 31 for an interesting, and bizarre claim: the Watch Tower's books and materials "embarrass[es]" the Watch Tower!

...And that's what really gets under their skin. They are trying, but they can't run from their own words fast enough! Axelspeed

• ackack
    ackack

Ithinkisee, I submitted this as my /. entry:

The website quotes.watchtower.ca has been sued for (in part) violating a EULA. As seen in the Statement of Claim, "the CD-ROMs constitute confidential information" despite the fact that these publications have been disseminated publicly for years. Can someone take publicly available content, slap a EULA on it, and now its confidential? WTF?

hope it helps..

ackack

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

OMG!!! This is rediculous!!

Well, what can I do to help this time? Whatever you need, we're behind you!!!!

Brandon

• Gerard
    Gerard

28. The Defendant’s web site reproduces and exhibits the Plaintiffs’ Religious Works, and specifically, all or substantially all of over 450 literary and artistic works that were first published between 1955 and the present.

31. The Defendant’s main purpose in operating the website is not “fair use”, but rather to try to embarrass the Plaintiffs by quoting selectively from some of the Religious Works in a manner that misleads Internet users as to the teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses in.

34. As a result of his activities, the Plaintiffs have suffered and will continue to suffer damages, including but not limited to loss of reputation and goodwill.

Maybe the CD reproduction was unauthorized but this is so F#%$ing funny, I can't believe any Judge would bite this bullshit bait.

Will you contest? This I'm willing to chip in $50 or $100 for your legal expenses.

Gerry

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

wow this is what they are doing instead of disaster relief..

does canada have an equivilant of the ACLU? if so, notify them.

heck i guess you could notify the ACLU cuz the wtbs is located in the USA.

This action, above all other actions, shows that the WTBS cannot be the link between God and Man. It wants to hide its deception over the years and cover their past in darkness. It is ashamed and embarrassed by its own words. And yet they continue to convert others and squash independent thinking.

I wish a 1000 quotes sites a day would pop up. flood the internet with it.

• Gerard
    Gerard

BERESKIN & PARR

Looks like the CrapTower hired lawyers from the outside: Bereskin & Parr - Intellectual Property Law

http://www.bereskinparr.com/English/flash/mainflash.html

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Now we know why Hurricane Relief is to be marked "world wide work" -

They will not give one red cent to a witness victim in New Orleans. ( Maybe they will "lend" other peoples' freely given money and want it paid back with interest.)

But they will throw millions of donated cash away on petty lawsuits to hide their own stinking backsides. And use it to train lawyers and accountants.

Usually when there is a disaster, the money sent can take months even years to count - and before it could only be used for the stated purpose.

HB (of the "my cheekpouches just became sick-bags" class.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

31. The Defendant’s main purpose in operating the website is not “fair use”, but rather to try to embarrass the Plaintiffs by quoting selectively from some of the Religious Works in a manner that misleads Internet users as to the teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses in.

Usually the Society tries to avoid addressing doctrinal matters in a court of law. Could this accusation mean that the defendant could point out to the court that the quotes DO NOT mislead Internet users? Would this not mean the Socieyt would have to listen to the defense talk about flip-flops, misquotes, etc that could be entered into the court's records? This would be COOL. -ithinkisee
  • ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

--deleted. duplicate post--

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    31. The Defendant’s main purpose in operating the website is not “fair use”, but rather to try to embarrass the Plaintiffs by quoting selectively from some of the Religious Works in a manner that misleads Internet users as to the teachings of Jehovah’s Witnesses

This looks like a contradiction. In their prior legal claim, they stated that you included too much of the context in the quotes so that it is not Fair Use and constitutes infringement. Now, you apparently have not quoted ENOUGH of the context since they say you are "quoting selectively".

Which is it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit