Watch Tower sues Quotes for $100,000 plus plus plus...

by Quotes 354 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I submitted a story to SlashDot ... they like copyright infringement stuff, and they like bashing religions that are sue-happy ...(like Scientologists)

A canadian website that posts quotes from the literature printed by the Jehovah's Witnesses (http://quotes.watchtower.ca ) is being sued by The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (the legal entity of the religious cult known as Jehovah's Witnesses http://www.watchtower.org )

The author of the site uses his own literature to help people see how they fulfill their own religious definition of "false prophets" and contradict themselves in their own theology.

The owner of the site posted the full Statement of Claim on another ex-Jehovah Witness board. (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/98096/1.ashx)

The most interesting thing is the Watchtower lawyers say the quotes could "embarrass" the Jehovah's Witnesses and that posting the literature online was a "breach of contract".

The Watchtower Society is making this a copyright infringement issue. Yet, reading between the lines of the Legal Statement it is evident "knowledge is power" - and they would appear to prefer people <strong>not</strong> know the truth about their history of mistakes and errors.

The legal document is here.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

to whom do we send a few bucks to to assist in the fight against this garbage !!!

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Anyone send a link to the UK Guardian?

-ithinkisee

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

This is laughable! There is no way they really want this. In the long run they will be damaged considerably if this gets out as you couldnt buy this kind of advertising. My bet is that they are hoping you feel the Goliath bearing down and tuck tail and run.

The main issue seems to be the CDROM issue, which can be easily rectified, as all the information has been printed. Secondly, you are only quoting, and not reproducing complete works. I don't think they have a case, and are depending/hoping on the intimidation factor

What this really exposes is the effect the internet is having...it has been devastatingly effective.

Axelspeed

• ackack
    ackack

What would make this interesting from a slashdot perspective is the heavy emphasis this lawsuit places on the violation of the EULA.

If you want to submit this to slashdot, do so from that angle. <just my two cents>

ackack

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Ackack .... I already sent mine, but the EULA angle is a GREAT IDEA!

Can you send one?

-ithinkisee

• rebel8
    rebel8

OK Quotes, notice is now up on my site. www.jwinfo.50megs.com Navigate to "News Flash" page.

I didn't mince any words. ;)

Also FYI there is a JW news forum at http://shadetree.proboards62.com/. I posted a link there as well.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    ...confidential information in the CD-ROMs

WTF!!!! They are selling them!!!!!!!

Quotes, you have balls though.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:Oh, be sure to not miss paragraph 31 for an interesting, and bizarre claim: the Watch Tower's books and materials "embarrass[es]" the Watch Tower!

Priceless.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

wow what weenies...sheesh

Interesting how they say you use selective quotes...that is what they have been doing for years with other religions...I guess you just cannot follow their good example. At least you are using sources to inform the public of their dastardly deeds.

Good luck to you...have you found a lawyer that can take your case on? Maybe some free speach rights group up there in canada will take the case on for you? Does cananda have a pro bono site or something where you can find a lawyer that would love to take this up? This is a great opportunity for a lawyer to make their mark fighting a corrupt institution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit