Invited to convention - told dad no thanks

by M@el5trom 2 Replies latest jw friends

• M@el5trom
    M@el5trom

My dad called and invited me to the last day of the convention a couple weeks ago, and I told him we weren't gonna be going. I did finally come out and tell him that we were not attending meetings for a reason. He tried to say that if my wife was holding me back, or me her, blah blah, and I told him this was something we decided together. I went on to say that I didn't feel I could discuss the reasons with him (for obvious reasons to me anyways) but that it was not anything he or mom had done, and it wasn't anything anyone in the congregation had done. I said I undestand how you feel about this (I really do, considering I was raised a JW and had no serious issues/doubts for the first 20-25 years and so from a JW view, I can understand that he and mom would be hurt by my actions.) I told him we are more than willing to get together for family events though if they'd like.

So, I kinda wonder if this will either a) reduce the # of field service visits and invites, or b) lead towards something more serious. I'v never expressed my doubts to anyone that would get back to my cong. elders, so as far as they are concerned I'm just not attending for some reason.

A little background - My wife and I started having questions and fading about a year and a half ago. We did go to the Memorial this year, but left quickly - we have missed that in the past. I'v been exploring my beliefs and trying to figure things out, while my wife adapted fairly quickly since she wasn't a JW until she was in her teens and has switched religions a couple times.

Anyways, I get on and mostly lurk here, but I'll post from time to time if things develop.

Mael

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Mael - Hi and glad to see you posting instead of just lurking around... It's nice to hear from you. In reading your story, I was only wondering why you don't feel like you want to discuss the reasons why you no longer want to go to meetings with your parents. Unless it is something you feel uncomfortable doing, it might help them to see why you have made up your mind on that and may make it easier for you. Glad you're here though !

• delilah
    delilah

Hello and welcome Mael.....been there.....and faded successfully, finally. It's not easy, but we only had one elders visit, and that wasn't until we'd stopped going altogether for over 5 years....funny eh??? Anyhow, my parents are starting the "we hope you'll come back, armaggeddon's right around the corner" bit again. So, I'm going to have to tell them YET AGAIN, why we'll never go back. It's like, they just don't get it, or they're so afraid of the big "A".....it's sad. We really don't have a choice, when it comes to finding, (or wanting) a religion that suits us individually. Take care, and the best of luck to you. Hope you post more often.

Delilah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit