Adriamycin alone for Breast Cancer?

by outnfree 2 Replies latest watchtower medical

• outnfree
    outnfree

As many of you are aware (bless you for your support!), I am undergoing treatment for breast cancer. The oncologists have suggested adding Adriamycin (doxorubicin) alone to my chemotherapy regimen (we are avoiding Cytoxan for family health history reasons) and I'm wondering if the extra 84 days of treatment will be worth it.

Right now, I am finished with Taxotere and was scheduled to start another taxane, Taxol (paclitaxel) with Herceptin near the end of this month. The Adriamycin works at killing cells at a different point in mitosis from the taxanes, so it might be wise to try it. I am beginning to research its efficacity when used alone, but it is usually used in combination therapy, so this is proving difficult.

Has anyone else taken Adriamycin alone and, if so, what were your side effects and results?

Thanks for any input you can share.

Brenda

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops
    Herceptin Plus Chemotherapy Benefits Some Women with Advanced Breast Cancer

Importance of the study: Herceptin (chemical name: trastuzumab) is an antibody, a special immune protein, that targets products of the HER2/neu oncogene. It is often used as a treatment for women with metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses the HER2/neu oncogene. This study helps answer questions about the safety and effectiveness of adding Herceptin to a chemotherapy regimen.

Study design: In a study conducted at several institutions throughout the country, 234 women received standard chemotherapy alone and 235 women received standard chemotherapy along with Herceptin. Those who had previously received Adriamycin (chemical name: doxorubicin) chemotherapy received either Taxol (chemical name: paclitaxel) or Taxol with Herceptin as their chemotherapy regimen. Those who hadn't had Adriamycin before, now received Adriamycin (or a similar drug called epirubicin) and Cytoxan (chemical name: cyclophosphamide), either alone or with Herceptin.

Words on this page
    herceptin
    HER2/neu
    oncogene
    side effects

Study results: Herceptin combined with chemotherapy controlled the cancer longer (almost 3 months more) and improved survival (about an additional 5 months) compared to the outcome for women in the chemotherapy-only groups. This added benefit, however, was associated with an increased risk of heart-related side effects. Twenty-seven percent of the women receiving Adriamycin PLUS Herceptin had problems, while just 8% of those receiving Adriamycin alone, 13% of those receiving Taxol PLUS Herceptin, and 1% of those receiving Taxol alone experienced heart problems. The problems varied from mild to severe, but for the most part, the symptoms substantially improved with standard medical care.

Related Areas:

Learn how to stay on track with chemotherapy treatment, and why it's so important to stick with it.

Take-home message: Herceptin adds significant benefit to the treatment regimen typically prescribed for women with metastatic disease that overexpresses HER2/neu. Herceptin is not recommended at the same time as Adriamycin, however, because of significant heart side effects. (Herceptin may, however, be given after the Adriamycin regimen is complete.) Combining Taxol with Herceptin resulted in fewer heart problems and therefore is the regimen is one of several that may be recommended for this group of women.

Next Page: Number of Cancer Medicines in Development Doubled in Just Six Years
    Printer-friendly page
    Send this page to a friend

• outnfree
    outnfree

Thanks, (((((U_R!)))) I am definitely going to be taking the Herceptin as I've got +3 overexpression of the HER2 oncogene receptors, but it's the Adriamycin without Cytoxan and/or Fluorocil that's got me a bit stumped...

out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit