Jodie Collie~ who was missing * See Amber Alert NC is found.

by Xandria 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Xandria
    Xandria

Missing N.C. girl found safe in Iowa

Associated Press

ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. - A Rocky Mount girl reported missing since last week was found Tuesday in Iowa, authorities said.

Des Moines police found Jodie Collie, 12, at the city's bus station shortly after 9 p.m. EDT. She had called her grandfather, who called the FBI, which notified police in Des Moines. She was by herself and unharmed, officials said.

"The hugest weight has been lifted off my shoulders," said Collie's mother, Kim Baker. "All the prayers I've been praying have been answered. She's safe and she'll be back soon.

"I think we'll all be fighting to see who hugs her first. I don't think I'll let her go for a couple of hours."

Authorities issued warrants for Phillip Daniel Denkler, 27, charging him with felony child abduction and probation violation. Denkler is a registered sex offender who was convicted of taking indecent liberties with a minor. Police in Des Moines said there was no sign of Denkler.

Collie was taken to Broadlawns Medical Center for examination, said Des Moines Police Sgt. Brian Vance, adding that there no signs of physical injury.

"Of course, she was emotionally distraught at this time," Vance said.

The girl told officers she had been dropped off at a bus station. Police put out an alert for the Hyundai Sonata in which she and Denkler may have been traveling.

Collie and Denkler apparently had talked on the telephone for months. The girl's mother, Kim Baker, said she knew of Denkler, but no one in the family was aware of his criminal record or that he had been in touch with her daughter.

Authorities issued an Amber Alert after Collie was reported missing.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Thank goodness she was found! The poor girl.Her poor mother!

Dams

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    Collie and Denkler apparently had talked on the telephone for months. The girl's mother, Kim Baker, said she knew of Denkler, but no one in the family was aware of his criminal record or that he had been in touch with her daughter.

That is crazy,,,,,,,,the mother knew they were talking on the phone?? My daughter is 12 and no boys call her yet.....and if a male voice is on that voice it better be going thru puberty and cracking up . I think I would know if my daughter was talking to a full grown man or a kid for god's sake.

My daughter has just started chatting on a yahoo teen site and I have my computer in the L/R so no one can talk private really. If she ever gave our number to anyone online , her ass would be grass.

As parents we have to monitor our kids so carefully. Still anything can happen.........it does all the time, but we can stop things like this from happening by telling our kids of the real life dangers and stories . And we have to stay on top of it , reminding them all the time .

But........I am sooooo glad this girl got home, I just blame the mother , because it sounds like she DID know enough .

• delilah
    delilah

I'm so glad she is home safely. I cannot believe her mother did not monitor her phone calls....I always know who my children are talking to, and where they are going, and with whom they are going. It has always been the rule in our house, you leave phone numbers and addresses too, where they will be. My kids friends are invited here, so I can meet them and really get a visual on them. Over-protective??? I think not, not in this day and age.

Delilah

• Xandria
    Xandria

I am glad she is found but cannot believe the mother. I agree with monitoring.

X.

• undercover
    undercover

I was on the road the day that they issued the amber alert. I saw it on a digital highway sign. I kept a look out for beige Hyundais the rest of the day.

I'm glad they found her unhurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit