Circuit Overseer...an attractive career path?

by sir82 9 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

In one of the "new GB members" threads, I saw this comment regarding "young anointeds". It triggered another thought in mind:

Or.....you could be a young JW guy aiming to climb the Watchtower Corporate Ladder, realizing that to go all the way to the top, there is one thing you absolutely need to have...

Just a thought... I'm sure no loyal JW brother could be this cynical.

Not exactly along those same lines, but....

Among the Spanish-language congregations in my area, there are a couple of 30-ish elders who are being groomed for CO-ship. In a rare moment of candor, one of their wives let slip that she would like to get into the circuit work (and leave the drudgery-filled working world behind) because doing that, "the friends take care of you".

Think about it...A 30 year old minority member, no education beyond high school, working as a waiter (his wife is a bank teller), little prospect for climbing economically or socially....but if you can just get into the CO "club", you get:

-- A shiny new upper end Buick every 2-3 years

-- 100% free health care, no deductibles, no co-pays

-- All living expenses paid 100%

-- Half-decent apartments in most circuit assignments

-- Enough "green handshakes" to pay for several vacations per year

-- The feeling of power that comes from being an authority figure among a group (Hispanic JWs) who are far more submissive to authority than their American counterparts

As I once commented to my wife, it is one hell of a career path for someone in that position.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I have heard the same attitude around my area. I know a superfine apostles elder trying SOOO hard to become a CO. I also know several young couples who have tried over and over to get into Bethel......anything to escape the drudgery of hanging sheetrock, and laying brick for a living. One of my friends married the snobby daughter of a local elder. They had a bit of money since he owns his own brick-laying company. (He makes a lot by hiring Mexicans at 8 bucks a day....). They were trying to get into Bethel, but since she had absolutely no skills, she was going to have to clean toilets all day. ROFLOL!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I wouldn't want to be a CO. Aside from all the free meals and other invitations from people as well as the above mentioned benefits, there is a downside. I think I'd eventually tire of having so many people lining up to kiss my ass. The novelty would soon wear off.

W

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

A CO just needs to drop the ball one time and he will be tossed to the side like a piece of trash. Imagine if that happened when he was 55 and near retirement.

• sir82
    sir82

For that reason, the longer a CO has served, the more likely he will go out of his way not to "drop the ball".

When it comes time to decide, "help perpetuate the organization, or help people", the organization wins every time. And the vicious cycle continues...

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Being a Circuit/District Overseer is the best career on earth!

It's a business. One hell of a profitable religious business!!!

DY

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

That's why I stopped putting money in the box long, long ago. Not a penny.

I didn't leave the catholic church so I could support some wanna be clergyman who doesn't even believe in education or work!!

• lawrence
    lawrence

How can any JW make the statement that "Jehovah's Organization has no paid clergy!" That is so ridiculous in the light of this post's perks, which these mental midgets receive as they beat the living crap out of their benefactors. Almost like "biting the hand that feeds them." Then again, respect is not a word often heard at meetings.

• sir82
    sir82

"no paid clergy..."

Just take the recent $8.50 per publisher extortion voluntary donation for auto leasing & insurance, & health insurance.

$8.50 X 1 million publishers = $8,500,000.00

640 COs in the US

$8,500,000 / 640 = over $13,000 in benefits per CO per year.

How many of the 1 million JWs in the US have no health insurance? How many can afford to drive & insure 2005 Buick Lesabres? How many have their gasoline fill-ups paid for by weekly resolutions to over their expenses?

• lawrence
    lawrence

sir82-

You convinced me, where do you sign up for this "Opportunity?" I'll shine up the service shoes, take the polyester out of mothballs, and the book bag out of the garbage and will report on Monday. Where? Just where?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit