Elder Requirerments?

by YHWHWho 9 Replies latest jw friends

• YHWHWho
    YHWHWho

So after my once a year visit with my parents it dawns on me that my dad, after 30 years in the "truth" has never been an elder. But yet my brother has. So I'm thinking to myself I wonder if he was never an elder because one or more of his children has been disfellowshipped for all or part of the last 22 years. In fact until recently 4 out of 5 of us were disfellowshipped. My younger sister holds the family record for number of times disfellowshipped, while I hold the record for longest period of time disfellowshipped. My youngest brother holds the record for shortest period of time between baptism and disfellowshipment. My oldest sister was reinstated, however is currently inactive as she don't buy it. (JW doctrine). So, as you can see I just love stats and useless information. So my question is, as my mother so aptly pointed out - "Your father is the only brother in the congregation who did not have a part in the convention, because you kids are so rotten" - did we prevent our father from becoming an elder?

• JT
    JT

yes and no

it depends on the body of elders

if they wanted to use that as the reason - then yes

but if they didn't then he like so many others who have "rotten kids"
    can still be an elder
    to become an elder DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON THE BODY

if they like you - you are in

if they don't you will get the shaft for yrs to come

your dad sounds like an uncle of mine= became a jw back in 68 didn't get appointed till 92- he lost his job and took a part time job and pioneer- one of the elders told him privately that he had been voting for him for yrs , but since he had a great job, a few coins in his pocket and my aunt and him dress to KILL - the bro felt he was a little on the materialist side- but now that he works some flunky job and sells booksfulltime
    he ok now

so sad

james

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

C-O-U-S-I-N !!!!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Your dad obviously doesn't like to kiss ass, because IMHO, that is what is takes to be appointed as an elder. Read Amazing's post a while back about whether or not elders are appointed by holy spirit. Maybe he will repost it or bring it back up to the top. Very interesting.

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• logical
    logical

What happened to each being accountable for their own sins?

• joelbear
    joelbear

The actions of grown children are not used in deciding a person's congregational privileges. I am DFed and my brother has been inactive his whole life (he was DFed when he was 18 and RIed when he was 21.

My father has been an elder for at least the past 15 years.

Joel

• metatron
    metatron

I was 'up' for appointment years ago but didn't make it. One
    of the body was chosen to tell me that it was because I didn't
    own a car with four doors (I'm not making this up!) So, I bought
    a Renault (unreliable piece of crap) and I was appointed after
    the next C.O. visit.

Find that in your Scriptural Qualifications!

JT has it on the money - it relates to the local 'good old boy'
    elder system.

Metatron

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

it just sounds like your dad was a bad dad and never deserved to be an elder............4 out of 5 df'd Jeeebus Christ..i think that is some kinda borg record........if we were mormons would it be 9 out of 10 kids??

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Good post. I've been wondering the same thing about my father for years. Never an elder over the last 25 years. MS, but not elder.

Curious. He's a nice guy and never's crossed anybody that I know and he's very humble and quiet. I wonder what he's done wrong.

Slipnslidemaster: "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford

• jonjonsimons
    jonjonsimons

My father was an elder for many years. Some time ago he was either asked to step down or was forced to, I'm not sure which. Anyway the rumor mill said it was because 5 of his 10 children were either df'd da'd or inactive. I do remember my father telling me when I was a kid that someone shouldn't be appointed to a position of authority in Jehovahs house if he didn't have his own house in order.
    jjs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit