Do you know any congregations that have their own website?

by truthseeker 7 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Can a congregation have it's own website? I mean, if they can have printed handbills, surely they could make their presence known on the Internet.

• GermanXJW
  • Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

NO! haven't seen anything official about it other than the old KM article about personal websites but such a thing would definitely be discouraged.

At some point I expect KMs to be wired (or wireless) to the Net - after all the dynamic rerouting capability of the Internet which was designed to withstand nuclear destruction of parts of the system makes it perfect for communicating far and wide in a global catastrophe - oh like say ARMAGEDDON!

But right now most of the really old farts, I mean Elders are still pretty much technically unsavvy and I think they would be reluctant to embrace even a simple website at this point.

And then there is the question of cost. Most congs are struggling with their usual costs so expenditures for a computer, web hosting and tech admin (even if volunteers) is not something they would consider unless directed by the Society.

But in the future, perhaps the Society will have a few servers to host all Congregation webpages and in that way it would be able to supply much of the main content itself while allowing congregational administrators to log in and modify some of the smaller sections like "announcements", actual meeting times, talk assignments, etc. Of course the main benefit is that the Society would be able to control the websites and make sure all content conformed to its views and policies.

-Eduardo

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

very interesting GermanXJW. I have no doubt that these efforts are not officially endorsed. It will be interesting to see how long these sites stay up.

Anyone else know of any others?

-Eduardo

• sunshine2
    sunshine2

Hi German,

why are these congregations registered (eingetragener Verein?) What is that all about?

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

The society will never, NEVER, publish the KM over the net. They are a publishing company and are in it for the money. Congregations pay for each piece of paper that they receive. The society would lose money by making the KM available electronically.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I just had a brain storm, why don't we chose a congregation and make a webpage for them. wouldn't that be the kats pajama's.

Just think of how much havoc we could do to a congregation.

Aren't I evil????????

Say yes!!

Orangefatcat

• Bryan
    Bryan

Bad Cat! Bad Cat!!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit