Godly Obedience Convention: About as uplifting as an old woman's brassiere

by TresHappy 3 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Meetings' focus on Bible, values called 'uplifting'
    By ERICA BLAKE
    BLADE STAFF WRITER Friday evenings in downtown Toledo have taken on a new look in recent months.

The streets were crowded, the restaurants were overflowing, and there were few rooms left at local hotels.

But although the influx of Jehovah's Witnesses to Toledo has done its fair share of good for the local economy, it was a spiritual journey that beckoned them to town. On most weekends throughout the summer, an estimated 5,000 Jehovah's Witnesses have converged on the SeaGate Convention Centre for a three-day event where the focus of discussion was the Bible and family values. They came from miles away and they came to learn.

When the last of the Jehovah's Witnesses leaves Toledo at the end of the last conference on Aug. 28, an estimated 48,000 visitors will have been in town, mainly from Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. One weekend was dedicated to teaching God's words in Spanish.

"It's spiritually uplifting," said Dorothy Christiansen, 62, of Traverse City, Mich., who attended a recent conference with her husband, daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren. "You drive a long distance to get here and then you see everyone. It's uplifting."

The theme of this year's district convention was "Godly Obedience," explained John Harrington, a Toledoan who helped organize the event. But the mantra was more than just words on the Witnesses' name tags. Obedience to God is a way of life and a means of being blessed, he said.

"We know we can't change someone in three days but we definitely get reinforced," said John Schroeder of New Haven, Ind., who acted as the program overseer. "I remember my first convention I went to and I haven't missed one since."

Each weekend offered morning and afternoon lectures from guest speakers. Highlights included a baptism for those candidates who have chosen to continue to live the life of a Witness, and a Sunday morning dramatic presentation focusing on the pursuit of goals that honor God. The programs have been repeated each weekend when a new group of Witnesses came to town.

At one time, Jehovah's Witnesses held one large convention, drawing people from around the country. Today, there are 227 conventions in 69 cities.

This is the first year Toledo has hosted a convention. For the last 27 years, area Witnesses traveled to the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., where 38,000 people gathered for one weekend a year.

"There is something to be said about looking at the stadium and seeing 38,000 people," said Charles Woodhaus of West. Livonia, Mich., who acted as the convention overseer. "But from a practical standpoint, this just works better." There are an estimated 6.5 million Jehovah's Witnesses in 235 countries, including about 35,000 in Ohio. Known for their door-to-door ministry, Mr. Harrington said those who attended the conference will leave with new materials to help share God's word.

"I wouldn't rather be anywhere else," said 13-year-old Celeste Burnside of Detroit, who volunteers as a Pioneer, or someone who shares Bible studies with others. "It's a great feeling learning more about the Jehovah's Witnesses."

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    "It's a great feeling learning more about the Jehovah's Witnesses."

Now this I can agree with. Beacuse now I am free of them.

In the last 20 years I have learned way more than I learned in the 22 years I was in. I'm not even shocked anymore at the things they say and do.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Well alrighty then...

I recently found out that my parents went from KY to Georgia to go to this assembly. Then enjoyed it so much that they went again to the one here in Dayton. About 10 minutes from my house.

Didn't visit, didn't call, didn't even tell me.

Lisa

• Honesty
    Honesty

"It's spiritually uplifting," said Dorothy Christiansen, 62, of Traverse City, Mich., who attended a recent conference with her husband, daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren. "You drive a long distance to get here and then you see everyone. It's uplifting."

It is so uplifting to see all your friends. My ex spent months sewing great looking outfits for her and my step-daughter so that they would 'fit in' at the ASSembly.

The theme of this year's district convention was "Godly Obedience," explained John Harrington, a Toledoan who helped organize the event. But the mantra was more than just words on the Witnesses' name tags. Obedience to God is a way of life and a means of being blessed, he said.
    What he really meant was obedience to the Faithful Discreet Slave.

"We know we can't change someone in three days but we definitely get reinforced," said John Schroeder of New Haven, Ind., who acted as the program overseer. "I remember my first convention I went to and I haven't missed one since."

He should read Acts 8:11-13; Acts 10:33-48; Acts 17:1-4; Acts 17:16-34 because it takes a lot less than three days if the message is from God
    Each weekend offered morning and afternoon lectures from guest speakers. Highlights included a baptism for those candidates who have chosen to continue to live the life of a Witness, and a Sunday morning dramatic presentation focusing on the pursuit of goals that honor God. The programs have been repeated each weekend when a new group of Witnesses came to town.

Is this the drama about forsaking education in order to peddle literature?

At one time, Jehovah's Witnesses held one large convention, drawing people from around the country. Today, there are 227 conventions in 69 cities.
    This is the first year Toledo has hosted a convention. For the last 27 years, area Witnesses traveled to the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., where 38,000 people gathered for one weekend a year.
    "There is something to be said about looking at the stadium and seeing 38,000 people," said Charles Woodhaus of West. Livonia, Mich., who acted as the convention overseer. "But from a practical standpoint, this just works better."
    More opportunities to talk about the convention deficit and more time for the contribution boxes to be displayed. There are an estimated 6.5 million Jehovah's Witnesses in 235 countries, including about 35,000 in Ohio. Known for their door-to-door ministry, Mr. Harrington said those who attended the conference will leave with new materials to help share God's word. Oh, when did the WTBTS start producing Bibles?

"I wouldn't rather be anywhere else," said 13-year-old Celeste Burnside of Detroit, who volunteers as a Pioneer, or someone who shares Bible studies with others. "It's a great feeling learning more about the Jehovah's Witnesses."

I couldn't agree more. I love learning about JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit