Your help please!

by nicolaou 5 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Here in the UK we have an excellent free online service called FaxYourMP.com
    . http://www.faxyourmp.com/

It enables all citizens to get in touch directly with their elected Member of Parliament.

For the DNC project, I'd like to know of equivalent online facilities in other countries - can you help?

Incidentally, why don't some of us Brits fax our local MP's voicing our concern over issues that genuinly concern us - WT & Paedophilia, WT & Shunning, WT & Privacy.......well you get the idea!

Nic'

. http://communities.msn.co.uk/altJehovahsWitnesses

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'd be glad to help, but what's the DNC project. If it's do not call, I allready am one. Glad to hear someone from the UK. I'm in Dorset, you?

• philo
    philo

Ballistic

Welcome! Like your name. DNC can be found at

http.www.do-not-call.org

If you want to join in the project, simply apply to Nik.

philo

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    but what's the DNC project.

Hi ballistic!

For you and any other new members, please check out this thread posted on May 9th 2001 - it should answer most of your questions about the DNC project.
    . http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=5248&site=3

At the moment the site is password protected as it is approaching completion and I'm trying to avoid 'tipping my hand' before I'm really ready.

I'd like to take this chance to thank outnfree and philo for their valuable input.

The following was prepared by outnfree and will form the basis of the Press Release to be issued when DNC officially launches.

Nic'

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was thinking that the best timing for the announcement would be after the Dateline:NBC programs airs in the States as it will generate more interest, hence the "hook" in this first release. Of course, nationalities and monetary units would be interchangeable.

For Immediate Release Contact:_____________

www.do-not-call.org

Seeks to Protect YOUR Privacy from Jehovah’s Witnesses

London -- How much is your privacy worth to you? One hundred pounds? Five hundred? How about your peace of mind? More? Much more? Priceless?

In light of recent media reports on the startling way known pedophiles and other repentant and supposedly reformed types are protected by the policies of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society (commonly known as Jehovah’s Witnesses), an international group of concerned citizens felt compelled to form www.do-not-call.org.

The purpose of the online service is to guarantee subscribers that they will no longer be called upon by these doorstep evangelists while at the same time being a way to fund its public education work concerning this fundamentalist organization.

Most Britons are unaware that the smiling, clean-cut, briefcase-laden Witnesses who appear at their doors keep a detailed House-to-House Record. The form is used to note the street being worked, the date, whether or not someone was found at home, if the person contacted was a man, woman or child, and what literature, if any, the householder accepted. If possible, names are recorded as well as the time of day the conversation took place.

While the purpose of these temporary records is to keep track of both interest shown and the number of times a particular neighborhood has been canvassed, many citizens would be appalled to know that such records were being kept about them.

"Some in our group are former Jehovah’s Witnesses and were distressed by the recent disclosures that confessed pedophiles known only to the local elders might have been working alongside them in past years in the door-to-door ministry. When they realized the risk to children the world over, seeing that the recordkeeping could be abused to, in effect, "case" a neighborhood for potential victims, they volunteered to join this effort," said Do-Not-Call.org spokesperson ________________.

Persons who subscribe to the service will have their names and addresses removed from the "territory cards" of Jehovah’s Witnesses. And as the sect has lately been adopting direct advertising techniques such as phone solicitation and letter writing, it will be nice to know that as a www.do-not-call.org subscriber no phone calls or letters will destroy the tranquility of your home.

At a cost of pounds sterling 9.50, some will request the service just to enjoy sleeping in again on Saturday mornings without having to worry about the doorbell ringing. Others will be relieved that they no longer have to worry about the religion’s adherents trying to convert impressionable teens. But perhaps the most compelling reason of all to subscribe is the increasing number of latch-key kids who, in a parent’s worst nightmare, are lulled into thinking it safe to open the door, having seen those kindly, respectable-looking people around the neighborhood before.

Most Jehovah’s Witnesses are respectable.

We now know some aren’t.

Privacy? Peace of mind? Some may find a bit more of it at www.do-not-call.org.

- 30 -

This second release is geared for the US only. I have no knowledge of religious freedom laws in any other country (and only general knowledge for the US, that is, I'm not up on how the First Amendment has historically been interpreted by the courts).

For Immediate Release Contact: ______________

Freedom of Religion Works Both Ways

Detroit, Michigan -- The U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of religion under the First Amendment. A new online service called www.do-not-call.org wants to make sure freedom from religion is also your right.

Jehovah’s Witnesses and other groups have won the right in this country to continue their door-to-door evangelizing as it is an integral part of their expression of religion. However, there are many who consider their early-morning door-knocking to be both disruptive to their household’s peace and an unwanted attempt at conversion.

No matter how little interest they have shown in the past, the Witnesses insist on knocking two or three times per year. And if you weren't home, or ignored the doorbell, new tactics such as phone witnessing, letter writing and mall witnessing are supplementing their time-honored house-to-house and street corner proselytizing.

The remedy to these unwanted intrusions into your home life may very well be the modest $14.00 subscription to www.do-not-call.org. The purpose of the online service is to guarantee subscribers that they will no longer be called upon by these doorstep evangelists while at the same time being a way to fund its public education work concerning this fundamentalist organization.

The subscription will see to it that your name and address are removed from the "territory cards" of Jehovah’s Witnesses. These cards are sections from a map of the area to be evangelized by the local congregation broken down into a manageable number of households. A secure registration process, complying with _____________________, ensures your privacy.

Any citizen has the right to deny access to his home and property to unwanted guests. Usually the right to eject a visitor only occurs once s/he has been properly avised. If several different Witnesses try your property at different times, you will be stuck in a Catch-22situation. Subscribing to www.do-not-call.org will ensure that any single Witness taking out a territory card will see the notation to skip your premises..

Yes, the First Amendment guarantees freedom of religion. Others may want to share theirs, but you do have the right to just sit back and keep your own. Www.do-not-call.org is dedicated to making sure that freedom of religion is a two-way street.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE
    I've decided to make the process a free, self-service one.

There will be an option on the site to pay a nominal fee and have DNC take care of all registration and correspondence. Also, in common with Simon's site, there will be the facility to make donations.
    Hopefully this will make the service more accessible to people worldwide.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Nic, re the press release, they will automatically assume that its from the States by the spelling, much better to go with "Paedophile".

Regards,

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Thanks [fellow] Englishman!

You're quite right of course - the smack of yank can easily put a brit off!!

I think Press Releases should be tailored to the national audience.
    Wording, spelling and nuance can all be modified from the basic template without too much trouble to give the best possible appeal to each country.

Hope I can rely on the rest of you in this regard?!

Nic'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit