Puzzled by JWs Teachings

by KAYTEE 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

I have wonderful in-laws. Their good christian conduct would put many to shame

JWs Teach -

That if one of them were to die today, they would get a resurrection (righteous and unrighteous). whereas if the other one were to survive another week and Armaggedon was to come, according to the Society, the one who has died would be resurrected, but the surviving partner (a week later) when Armaggedon arrives would be destroyed. They are both 89 years old, and unlikely to change their beliefs and way of life. How can we equate this teaching with a God of Love as the Organisation is supposed to speak for Jehovah?

Puzzled Kaytee

• Terry
    Terry

Right you are to point out what is not only a Logical Fallacy, but, a Justice issue.

If nobody goes door to door preaching about the JW offer and the householder dies before Armageddon they get a resurrection.

But, if somebody does go door to door and the messege sounds lame (gee, how could it?) and refuses the offer and dies, then---either way---if they die before or live during Armageddon they die!

So, ignorance is bliss and "accurate knowledge" of Jehovah's messege is a killer!

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

JW teachings are full of such illogic. If you had an organ transplant before the 70's you would be disfellowshipped, but suddenly it was ok. But what about those DFed before the ban was lifted? Where they re-instated? Me thinks not.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Yeah, this is just one of the many teachings I could never get my head around, when I actually believed I would often think to myself 'I wish I never knew the truth', also I wondered at one point if it would be safer to kill myself and have done with it.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    That if one of them were to die today, they would get a resurrection (righteous and unrighteous). whereas if the other one were to survive another week and Armaggedon was to come, according to the Society, the one who has died would be resurrected, but the surviving partner (a week later) when Armaggedon arrives would be destroyed. They are both 89 years old, and unlikely to change their beliefs and way of life. How can we equate this teaching with a God of Love as the Organisation is supposed to speak for Jehovah?

Puzzled Kaytee

Something that they may not realize is that (according to Watchtower doctrine) a person's dead body in the coffin/grave never is resurrected (see for example "You Can Live Forever in Paradise Earth"), but remains dead. This combined with the fact (once again according to WT doctrine), that a person basically is only a body (no immortal soul), means that elderly folks such as them will really remain dead forever even if they died being faithful to the Watchtower Organization.

Where is the hope?

The Watchtower talks about "resurrection". However, WT "resurrection" really means that the original body/person remains dead in the coffin, and the creation (from scratch) of a new body that looks and acts like the original person, and has duplicate memories supposedly implanted by God (ie: a clone).

You might try something like this:

1. First, get them to acknowledge that according to WT teaching a person is basically a body (If the "life force" subject comes up briefly explain that according to the WT the life force is not personal).

2. Then ask, "In order for it to really be a resurrection of the original person (see point 1.) wouldn't their body in the coffin need to be resurrected (restored to life and perfection)?" Make sure that they are crystal clear on the above points before proceeding

3. Ask "What if a religious group were to teach that the original person remains dead forever in the coffin and that God merely creates a new body from scratch that looks and acts (and has similar memories) like the one in the coffin? Would this group really be offering a true resurrection hope for the original person?" (once they say "No" then consider showing appropriate documentation that the WT also teaches this).

4. Ask "Where is the hope in the Watchtower religion?"

Later, show the Bible hope of a true resurrection (Isaiah 26:19; John 5) etc.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    a person's dead body in the coffin/grave never is resurrected (see for example "You Can Live Forever in Paradise Earth"), but remains dead. This combined with the fact (once again according to WT doctrine), that a person basically is only a body (no immortal soul), means that elderly folks such as them will really remain dead forever even if they died being faithful to the Watchtower Organization.

Where is the hope?

Rightly you point out that there is no real hope there. What the dubs describe is not a resurrection but a re-creation.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

There are literally tons of teachings and logical consequenses of their teachings that are not only completely unethical, but actually horrible, disgusting, teachings for which, if they said them out loud on door-to-door, they would be kicked in the mouth. Forget all the 607 vs 587-stuff, the UN-thing, all you need to see that the WTb&ts is a dangerous death-cult, is this summary of one of their teachings:

"Children ride on their parents tickets. This means that all the children in the world that are not the children of Jehovahs Witnesses, are going to die in Armageddon, along with their ungodly parents"

This is the one part of their teachings I just instinctively knew was wrong, even from my childhood days! It was just wrong! Yes, I could accept that God would kill all the people that were unjust, unfair and evil, I could even accept that he would kill all the adults of this world (of course, my experiences with adults in general at that time, didn`t make that doctrine to hard to swallow, I just hoped he would kill of some of the people in my congregation as well, when that time came). But I could never accept that he was going to kill little children, babies even. It was wrong! And the fact that some people realise this, in spite of all the indoctrination and brainwashing they are subjected to, while others don`t, makes me think that ethical "knowledge" might be something you are born with, and the ability to think ethically might vary from person to person. Why is it that some people (most, it seems) are able to swallow such a horrible doctrine that makes no sense at all, from an ethical viewpoint? While others don`t? It`s an enigma.

This is all you need to know about JWs. If you are a person browsing these pages, and know little about JWs, aske them this question when they ring your door-bell: "Are all the children of the non-believers also going to be killed in Armageddon? Are my children going to die along with me, if I don`t become a JW".

Then watch them cough, mumble, squeal and twist to try and get out of that one. You can determine if the JW in front of you is "ok, but brainwashed" or flat out EVIL, by reply you get. The latter just might say it to your face, without lifting an eyebrow: "Yes".

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Forget all the 607 vs 587-stuff, the UN-thing, all you need to see that the WTb&ts is a dangerous death-cult, is this summary of one of their teachings:

"Children ride on their parents tickets. This means that all the children in the world that are not the children of Jehovahs Witnesses, are going to die in Armageddon, along with their ungodly parents

So right you are. It is founded on a belief theory from spirits who promote death and destruction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit