demons or "the Spirit"?

by m. kirov 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• m. kirov
    m. kirov

Is it possible that people still speak in tongues, from God's spirit? The book of Acts does not state that it would come to an end.

Not everything in the spirit word is of Holy origin, but I detest the idea that because it isn't in a Kingdom Hall it must be Satan.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Acts may say little about it, but 1 Cor. 13:8 does state that the gift of tongues will cease.

However, it does not say when. (Some of the writings of the Ante-Nicean Fathers suggest that the gifts of prophesying and tongues had already ceased to be in their day; perhaps someone else would be in a position to give citations thereof. (?))

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Dementia.

GBL

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Glossolaia (claim to speak unknown tongues (spirit languages?) needing translation by another charimatic means) was an issue in Corinth as Paul seems to be struggling with how to manage the new blending of Mystery cult and Judaism he had been speading. For the moment forget Acts. Glossolaia was a part of the religion of the Corithians before becoming Christian. Some so called Mystery cults and the cult of Apollos included the practice and the new converts had clung to the charisma tradition. Paul seems to be trying to regulate it and capitalize on it. The actual practice was and is self induced and does not require any "spirit" involvement. Even today millions of former Baptists etc. who regularly spoke in tongues recognise they themselves were the source of what was at the time a very meaningful experience. Like so many matters of faith, self deception runs deep.

Acts says nothing about the Corithian style glossolaia. In the story of the first Pentecost the Christians miraculously knew foreign languages so as to spread the new faith. This was nothing more than an exciting origin legend. It was not claimed to have been repeated.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    Is it possible that people still speak in tongues, from God's spirit?

Sure.

ibidyibidy menimome axsolame sporkeda farfegnocken

See. I didn't even have to try.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    ibidyibidy menimome axsolame sporkeda farfegnocken

Oh, I know. Except when snalpingerft zepfrnang ixibeeble. Then zouperlang japzepny ferläe.

gently feral

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Everyone seems to have a certain opinion of what speaking in tongues is - like some sort of fast talking goobuldydok that sounds like a tv evangalist, slayed in the spirit, psuedo seizure activity.

Here's some speaking in a tongue - see if you can interpret.

From the upper room of a house, one is able to see further along the way, and notice the poor.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

A Paduan,

From the upper room of a house, one is able to see further along the way, and notice the poor.

But that's poetry, not glossolalia. Are you saying there's no difference?

Oh, and btw:"Paduan" as in "St. Anthony"? Hail & well met!

gently feral

• myelaine
    myelaine

A Paduan,

I know exactly what it means to me.

michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit