JW visiting JWs in hospitals

by I quit! 7 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

I am just heading out to see my sister-in-law (JW) in the hospital. I have been goinging there to see her the last 5 days. Twice while I was there I met JWs who weren't anyone she had met before. They seem to show up everyday. How do they find out there are jws in the hospital? Does the sick persons congregation call one near the hospital and inform them that there is a JW in the hostpital? Do you think they are not only there to encourage but also to monitor the blood issue? They irritate the hell out of me but it is certainly no time creat a seen. Nothing personal against them just listening to them talk about going to the hall, beening in the "truth" bothers me. But then they are JWs what do I expect?

• thom
    thom

---"Does the sick persons congregation call one near the hospital and inform them that there is a JW in the hostpital?"---
    Yes, that's exactly what they do. One cong I was in was near several hospitals and we regularly visited JW's there that didn't live in the area. Was a pretty typical thing to do when out in service.
    Sometimes our cong would receive cards from the people we visited once they returned home, saying how much they appreciated it. I think alot of loyal JW's really do appreciate it.

• undercover
    undercover

I lived in a city that was known for its medical facilities. Many people from all over the region came to the hospitals there. The congregations in that city were usually informed when ever a JW from another city/congregation was going to be in one of the hospitals in the city. Then the elders would announce from the platform the persons name and room number and encouraged all JWs that could to go visit them. Sometime it was asked if the local JWs could put up the family that was staying close to the hospitalized one.

That was years and years ago...I don't remember them doing it much the last 10 years or so when I lived there.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

My mom has been in the hospital many times over the past couple of years and she always gets visitor's. No one from her congregation, or her for that matter, contacts anyone ahead of time. I asked mom about this because of the HIPPA thing. She said when you sign into the hospital they ask if you want your name and denomination on the list only available to visiting clergy. Of course she always says yes. Apparently WITH a patient's permission this is allowed.

• Stress Free
    Stress Free

Each congregation selects one of the elders to be a hospital liason. He is assigned to visit the local hospital on a daily bases. They will find out that your sister in law is in hospital if she has put down her religion on the registration form when she booked in. This information is put on the hospital patient register, the elder visiting each hospital has access to that file and therefore checks to see if any jw's are in that particular hospital.

(PS. They are probably just checking if any j dubs are having a blood transfusion )

• I quit!
    I quit!

Thank you for your replies. I now have a better understanding of what is going on. I know there are a lot of good JWs but I just don't trust them in situations like this. Their warped understanding of what the Bible says about eating blood costs lives. And those old farts at the top don't care. (like I'm telling you something you don't already know)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

They do it for two reasons. One, because the "friends" want to be seen or just morbid curiosity; the other reason is they are checking up on the person to see if they are remaining "faithful" to the blood policy.

• Es
    Es

wow thats amazing i never heard of that , or at least i never heard when other JW were in hospital. I would hate to have people visit me that i dont know it would be kinda awkard es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit