Christopher Reeves widow battling lung cancer.

by HappyDad 3 Replies latest watchtower medical

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I feel for this family. They have been through enough tragedy for a dozen people.

HappyDad

Widow Battling Lung Cancer

Tuesday, August 9, 2005

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Christopher Reeve's widow announced Tuesday that she's facing a battle with lung cancer and is looking to her husband "as the ultimate example of defying the odds with strength, courage and hope."

"I hope before too long to be sharing news of my good health and recovery," said Dana Reeve, who won worldwide admiration for the steadfast support of her husband during his nine years as a quadriplegic.

Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies, died last year.

Dana Reeve, the 44-year-old actress and chairwoman of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, was a nonsmoker, said foundation spokeswoman Maggie Goldberg.

Her announcement came two days after the lung cancer death of ABC News anchor Peter Jennings, a smoker, at age 67.

The foundation would not comment on the extent of Reeve's cancer or whether it is restricting her activities. Reeve said it was diagnosed recently and is being treated.

"Dana will tackle this challenge with the grace, courage, and determination that have become her hallmark," said Kathy Lewis, the foundation's president and chief executive officer.

A month ago, Reeve cited "family reasons" when she canceled an appearance in Washington with actor Michael J. Fox in support of embryonic stem cell research. Christopher Reeve's spinal cord injury, suffered in a fall from a horse, is among the conditions for which such research holds the promise of a cure.

Comedian Robin Williams, a close friend of the Reeves, issued a statement with his wife, Marsha, sending "all of our love and support to Dana and her family during this challenging time."

In her statement, Reeve requested privacy and said she was disclosing the illness only because a tabloid was about to do so.

"More than ever, I feel Chris with me as I face this challenge," she said. "As always, I look to him as the ultimate example of defying the odds with strength, courage and hope in the face of life's adversities."

Reeve did not disclose where she's being treated.

Dr. Scott Swanson, chief of thoracic surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan, said that depending on the extent of Reeve's cancer, she would be treated with surgery, chemotherapy, radiation or a combination.

He said researchers have noted an increase in lung cancer in nonsmoking women under age 51 and are trying to find the cause.

Reeve, who in suburban Westchester County with the couple's 13-year-old son, Will, has appeared on Broadway, off-Broadway and regional stages and on the TV shows "Law & Order," "Oz," and "All My Children." In an Associated Press interview a month after her husband's death, she said, "I am an actress and I do have to make a living. ... I definitely will be getting back to acting."

---

On the Net:

http://www.christopherreeve.org

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, I was shocked by this news. Dana, so loyal to her husband all those years. I hope she beats this cancer! She deserves to enjoy her life with her son. She is a fine example of loyal love.

• homesteader
    homesteader

That is so sad. Thanks for sharing Happy Dad. I will keep her in my prayers.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Thanks for the article. I haven't been watching the news so I didn't know much about her.

Another person I have been following is Tammy Faye Baker..She has been televising her cancer treatments. So sad...

As many know my hubby too was a non-smoker..he was 62 when he died. Lung cancer. They tried treating the lung cancer and had shrunk the tumor with chemo but the liver just went crazy (It had spread to his liver)and that's what killed him.Horrible way to die.

I hope Mrs. Reeves has good success with her treatments.

Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit