Where does an elder's loyalty lie?

by ozziepost 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

If you are wondering where the elders' real interests lie, please consider this statement:

True shepherds recognize that during these last days, Jesus has appointed his faithful and discreet slave over all his belongings and that holy spirit has directed this slave in appointing elders for the shepherding of the sheep. Hence, being theocratic involves having a deep respect for this slave, for the organizational arrangements that the slave has instituted, and for the elder arrangement within the congregation. Watchtower January 1, 1993 page 23

If any interested person is in any doubt, please consider how this statement will apply to the shepherds that you will encounter.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"You can know the law by heart, without knowing the heart of it"
    Philip Yancey, What's So Amazing About Grace?

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

Ozzie:

Hence, being theocratic involves having a deep respect for this slave, for the organizational arrangements that the slave has instituted, and for the elder arrangement within the congregation.[/i] Watchtower January 1, 1993 page 23

This is where just one of the problems lies. The loyalty of a BOE is with the WTS, not the individual members of the congregation. A 'former associate'of mine told his BOE that they were putting the WTS over Jehovah and the flock, and was removed for his candor. In my time as an elder, we were constantly exhorted to remain loyal to the 'organization.'

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Ustabee,

Thanks for your welcome comment.

I wonder if the Borg would be as loyal to the individual elder?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

Oz:

I wonder if the Borg would be as loyal to the individual elder?

I know we've all heard the stories about whole BOE's being removed. But if they were loyal 'Borgites', they usually stayed in place until death did them part. In my own case, they bounced me so fast I didn't get the plate number of the truck. God forbid, you try to buck the BOE on a decision they've made, no matter how ridiculous it may have been.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The pressure an elder feels to conform is enormous.

We could muse about where this pressure comes from, since it seems that at each level of the Borg the pressure remains the same. So a CO feels the preessure as does a 'humble' Bethelite, as does a cong elder. Fascinating stuff to consider but only if it doesn't affect you, eh?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• AlanF
    AlanF

The Society's comment about "having a deep respect for this slave" translates in practice to 'having loyalty to JW leaders that supercedes loyalty to God and the Bible'.

This is the Society's way of stating the Fundamental Doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses: You must treat JW leaders as if God himself were speaking.

Any elder who actually shows loyalty to the Bible over loyalty to the Society will be quickly removed, and if he makes that loyalty known publicly, will be disfellowshipped.

AlanF

• zev
    zev

alanf said

Any elder who actually shows loyalty to the Bible over loyalty to the Society will be quickly removed, and if he makes that loyalty known publicly, will be disfellowshipped.

amen to that.

-Zev, honourary member, The hurling class
    __
    Zev
    The greatest consistancy of the WTBTS is their INconsistancy.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Ozzie, if you have any doubt your posts pierce hearts, let me tell you that, judging from my mail, they strike home with telling effect.

Alan, give me a call later; be persistent.

Max

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit