Hall Closing in Cleveland, OH, USA Area?

by reagan_oconnor 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

My husband called me this afternoon to tell me that he drove by the Lakewood Congregation (on Madison Ave.) and it is closed, boarded up! Hurrah!

I only hope this means that there is waning interest in this area and they don't have a large enough congregation, and not that they're building a larger place elsewhere. I have no contact whatsoever with local congregations, so I have no idea what is going on. Anyone in the area that can offer insight?

• ?me?
    ?me?

the lakewood and lakepark congs are meeting over in avon lake and metro for now. the old hall was sold for about 330,000 and the money is going into a fund to buy land and build somewhere on the westside. probably a double hall with 4 groups with one being spanish maybe. they have been looking to build for over 20 years so they may be out in avon lake and metro for a while. there is also talk of realigning the westside's territories and moving people around after another hall is built. i heard plenty of members did not want to sell, but the regional building committee and the local elders( at the rpc's urging) pushed it big time, then it was a done deal.

• Sobeit
    Sobeit

Some Ohio suburban zoning commissions are beginning to look askance at several congregations using one hall? One community is beginning to question expansion and building of churches when the congregation stops being local and begins to be from other communities, but so far they haven't found a legal recourse.

And do the J.W.'s in the trades, still donate their time on the construction of the hall?

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

Thanks for the info, ?me?, I guess I'm disappointed that they aren't just closing up shop and going away. Are you in/from the Cleveland area?

i heard plenty of members did not want to sell, but the regional building committee and the local elders( at the rpc's urging) pushed it big time

Surprise, surprise. My dad is an RBC honcho down in the Akron area, largely because he's in the construction trade. (He has an extremely shoddy work ethic (e.g., problems with work he's done on his own house) & I can't believe that he directs the quick-builds! )

The congregation I grew up in was divided into two congs back in the late 80s, and anyone who voted against the split was viewed as a troublemaker. I remember my mom commenting about who voted no, and how they didn't want to see "progress," and "we could lose the Holy Spirit over this!" and other crazy stuff...

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I ratted out the abusive Bridgewater Whitman Massachusetts kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses illegal overloaded sewer (cesspool) system to the health dept,when they doubled up.I did this cause they wrongfully DFed me and i had the dirt on em.

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

Hi Clevelanders!!!! These days I've run into quite a few ex-JWs and I'm thinking of starting my support group back up. We had a nice couple of meetings.

Tiffany - originally from East Cleveland/Cleveland Heights

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit