Debunking the Bible skeptics and Liberal Theologians

by Rex 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rex
    Rex

Recommended reading for Christians who want to debunk the alleged 'facts' and claims of the naturalist element:

Archer, Gleason L., Enclyclopedia of Bible Difficulties, Zondervan 1982

Brauch, Manfred T., The Hard Sayings of Paul, Intervarsity 1989

Bruce, F. F.. The Hard Sayings of Jesus, Intervarsity 1983

Haley, John W., Alleged Discrepancies of the Bible, Zondervan 1977

Kaiser, Walter C. Jr., Hard Sayings of the Old Testament, Intervarsity 1988

O'Brien, David E., Today's Handbook for Solving Biblical Difficulties, Bethany house 1990

Sire, James W., Scripture Twisting, Intervarsity 1980

Stein, Robert H., Difficult Passages in the New Testament: Interpreting Puzzling Texts in the Gospels and Epistles, Baker 1990

I would add to that the philosophy expounded by C. S. Lewis in his works like; Mere Christianity and Miracles. Some of my lighter reading is from Lee Strobel; The Case for Faith and The Case for Christ. Chuck Colson's Born Again and How Now Shall We Live. Josh McDowell has some good apologetics as does Hank Hannegraf.

Rex

• rem
    rem

Don't read the bible and think for yourself... just interpret the bible the way these people say you should. Oh yeah, and these interpretations are infallible and science is evil. Jesus hearts ignorance.

rem

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_15101998_fides-et-ratio_en.html

Why don't you read the above link. Seems to me that most Christians don't think that faith and religion are polar opposites.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Ah yes good ole Chuck Colson from Prison Fellowship Ministries. I've had first hand experience with his "Ministry". The people running his charity are rude, ill-mannered swines.

And while the Josh McDowell Ministries are a "bit" better....he doesn't win a silver star either in my book.

And if I hear Dobson's name I will puke.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

Well, one thing's certain rexette,

you and your apologist friends are loaded with cash to be publishing all of these ignorant books that fly in the face of science and reason.

i was already screwed over once by bible book publishers.

• hmike
    hmike

Well, the Bible does call the gospel "foolishness" (1 Cor. 1,2; Gk., moros, from which we get moron).

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Rex,

Could you explain your standing as a christian. This isn't a loaded question, I would like to know if you are a JW or was a JW. If you are of another denomination. If you believe the whole bible as fact and history or if you beleave in the essance of bible teaching. I ask because you bring up some interesting apoligist staements, and I find it hard to comment without knowing where your coming from.

steve

• Shining One
    Shining One

Steven,
    I hope I have this link correct. I copied and pasted it from a answer to Dave on another topic. Feel free to e-mail me directly as well.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/95102/2.ashx

Rex

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hey Steve,

You'll have to copy and paste the link. It is on the topic of "explaining the hateful passages fo the Bible".

Rex

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Rex / Shinnign One - You know its very confusing what to call you!

Thanks, I read you reply to Dave, and it was very honest. I now have a better understanding of how to read your posts.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit