Why do different Christian sects have set "beliefs", or interpretations?

by sonnyboy 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I often wonder why so many religions choose to interpret the Bible and set their interpretations in stone. Wouldn't it be better to simply support the members of the congregation and let them use their own discernment?

I remember the JWs preaching against the formation of sects. Isn't this exactly what they're doing when they make the scriptures uniquely theirs? They're making themselves a distinct group, completely seperate from other Christians. If this isn't considered a sect then I don't know what is.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Wouldn't it be better to simply support the members of the congretation and let them use their own discernment?

Some denominations do exactly that. Some even take on the title "non-denominational".

Augustine encouraged that in the essentials there should be unity; in non-essentials, diversity; and in all things, love.

Personally I'm rather suspicious whenever I hear anyone proclaim that they've got it all nailed!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I often wonder why so many religions choose to interpret the Bible and set their interpretations in stone.

because god doesn't care, or heck? even exist?

TS

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Its that flawed idea that there must be a "right" way to do something, and that there can only be one way. That isn't just limited to the religious crowd, I see it in different professions where one practioner claims that this is the proper way to do it and any one who doesn't do it this way is a hack, etc. Another one of those sterling qualities we humans seem to have in abundance that provide for such a stress free world (insert extreme sarcasm here).

• Pole
    Pole

Yes, it always amazes me how some Christians say "we don't know, we don't know" when having to explain creation and other supernatural stories. And how they say "we do know for sure" when asked about how many loafes of bread Jesus used to feed the (how many) thousands of people.

Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit