The return of Jesus Acts 1v11, 3v19-21

by TrevorL 6 Replies latest jw friends

• TrevorL
    TrevorL

Greetings. The following appears to teach the literal return of Jesus in visible form to this earth. How do Jehovah Witnesses view this verse, and the emphasis of the various phrases (in bold) ?
    Acts 1:11 (KJV): "Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven."

A similar question based on perhaps Peter's understanding of the above as well as Divine inspiration. What does the phrase highlighted represent, as it seems to teach that at his return, Jesus will no longer be in heaven ?
    Acts 3:19-21 (KJV): "19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began."

I read the NWT on the above and this does not seem to be significantly different on these verses.

Kind regards
    Trevor

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Welcome to the board Trevor!

I have no idea what the JWs think of these verses - you'd have to ask a current JW. I would imagine that whatever theory or explanation they have will be as circular and convoluted as the rest of their beliefs.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Warm welcome to the board. I'll study the scriptures later, not used to KJV lately and I find it hard to read.

I don't think you'll find many J Witnesses on this board, but they'll no doubt disagree, or more likely ignore a question that seems to prove their doctrines false.

• rocky220
    rocky220

I'm sorry but, the world as it is now, probably confuse Jesus with a bomber [racial-profiling] and throw his ass in Gitmo.........while WTBS is passing around the "koolaid"........rocky220

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear TrevorL,

you asked: How do Jehovah Witnesses view this verse.

I don't think they've actually seen them.

michelle

• sir82
    sir82

Acts 1:11, per the official JW explanation:

When Jesus was caught up into the cloud, only his faithful disciples were there to discern it. Most people were unaware that he had gone.

So, when he would return, only his faithful disciples would really know it. Most people would be unaware he returned (i.e., "in the same manner")

Thus, support for the 1914 Invisible Presence teaching.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Hi Trevor,

I've be out of that cult for a while now, but to answer your question it used to be this:

shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven - Jesus went into heaven as a spirit being, and so will return as a spirit being

Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things -They believe that Jesus will rule in heaven for one thosand years, until the final matter of Gods right to rule is answered. After that, nobody knows.

steve.

ps welcome to the board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit