Window Washing-why so common?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Ok, I have been around here long enough to get a basic understanding of most of the JW stuff, even though I have never been one. One thing that continues to puzzle me though, is the constant references to JWs often getting jobs as window washers. I have seen these types of references on other sites as well as this one, so I have become convinced that it must be pretty (stereo)typical.

Why? What is it about window washing that makes it such a common job of JWs? Is it because you can wash windows at night and do field service and meetings in the day? Is it because its an easy start-up business that you can do yourself, thus hiring more JWs to all work together? Just what is it about window washing that makes it such a common reference?

I have read the posts about the WTS discouraging higher education, therefore dubs and ex-dubs often end up in janitorial work, construction, and other laborer type jobs. That I understand. Why SPECIFICALLY window washing though, is beyond me. Another thing I wonder is exactly what kind of window washing is meant. I have been in a Dunkin Donuts when the contractor comes and washes the windows, then uses a squeegee to wipe away the exess water. I have also seen those guys who, in my opinion, require a hell of a lot more fortitude, and definitely more equipment, who hang from those elevator scaffolds and wash the windows of highrise office buildings. That's a bird of a different feather. Which type is meant?

• karen96
    karen96

My ex who is an elder/pioneer cleaned and waxed floors, mostly for convienence stores and salons. There were a few in my old cong that did office cleaning and window washing too. I guess since it was an 'after hours' job, they could do it anytime.

karen

• Scully
    Scully

It's easy to do. Very low overhead (which is good if you're pioneering). You can set your own hours (good if you're pioneering). You can be your own boss (nobody can fire you).

Downside: If there are a lot of JWs doing window cleaning in a particular area, the competition can be absolutely cut-throat.

• NoBorg
    NoBorg

Also, you can make a lot of money in less time which means you work less than the 'average person' for the same amount. A long time ago, I was one of those pioneer window cleaners. I really enjoyed the work though I don't do it anymore along with a lot of other things that have been called stereo typical.

• freedom96
    freedom96

With education being so discouraged by the WTS, many witnesses need to figure out a way to make decent money without haivng the education to fall back on.

Window washing, janitorial type jobs are labor intensive, don't take much start up money, and just about anyone can do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit