Like we needed that

by foreword 9 Replies latest social current

• foreword
    foreword

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aMjFwLzAVek8&refer=top_world_news Gasoline Rises in New York on BP Plant Fire Report (Update1)

July 29 (Bloomberg) -- Gasoline futures rose as much as 4.5 percent after a report said firefighters are responding to what may have been an explosion and fire at BP Plc's Texas City refinery, the company's largest.

Gasoline for August delivery rose as much as 7.8 cents, or 4.5 percent, to $1.80 a gallon in after-hours electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange at 8:25 a.m. Singapore time.

Fire engines are responding to an incident at the plant and were believed to be putting out a fire, the Houston Chronicle's online edition said, citing BP spokesman Hugh Depland.

Oil prices rose to a record $62.10 on July 7 on concern that the U.S. has inadequate oil processing capacity to meet demand for gasoline during the summer and heating oil in the fourth quarter. Consumption of motoring fuel peaks between Memorial Day in May and Labor Day in September.

``If this is a significant piece of equipment that's affected, it could give the market the push it needs to hold and trade over $60'' a barrel, said Alan Herbst, a principal at New York-based consulting firm Utilis Energy LLC, in a telephone interview. ``I'm not surprised that crude and product prices are up. Traders see this as potentially bullish.''

A March 23 explosion at the Texas City refinery, the third- biggest in the U.S., killed 15 people and injured 170. The explosion cut output from the site, which can process 460,000 barrels of oil a day.

Local television coverage of the incident at 6:30 p.m. local time showed flames at the plant and fire crews pouring water on the blaze, the Chronicle said.

• Simon
    Simon

All we have to do is use less fuel !

I heard on the radio that "conservation" is a dirty word in America, like "liberal". What a sad state of affairs.

Increased fuel efficiency is the way to go. That way we wouldn't be as dependent on foreign oil and processing facilities.

• Frog
    Frog

how about one of these funky folding cycles instead of all those dirty, expensive, carbon emitting machines, whataythinkabout that idea?!!

http://www.nauticexpo.com/

• delilah
    delilah

We should go back to the horse and buggy days...what's a few bundles of hay cost these days????

Delilah ( the Amish and the Mennonites are on to something here...)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Any excuse they can find.

However, I'm all for high-gpm and alternate energy vehicles AND convervation - using those vehicles wisely.

• heathen
    heathen

There has been plenty of discussion of late over energy in the US . Some want to see more nuclear plants put online others realize the potential for hydrogen .We simply do have to find other sources besides fossil fuels .The polution itself if very bad for the health .

• aniron
    aniron
    Gasoline for August delivery rose as much as 7.8 cents, or 4.5 percent, to $1.80 a gallon in after-hours electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange at 8:25 a.m. Singapore time.

$1.80 a gallon !!!!

Do you realise that in Britain we are paying about $7 a gallon.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Increased fuel efficiency is the way to go. That way we wouldn't be as dependent on foreign oil and processing facilities.

I agree but high federal taxes would encourage the Boys in Detroit to make fuel efficiant cars. More recycling and also alternative forms of energy as well as more oil exploration. It needs a combination of ways but certainly constantly increasing consumption and designing and building more gas guzzlers is silly - The Iraq war would never be needed if the west was self-sufficient in oil

• heathen
    heathen

More self sufficient ? I thought the alaskan pipeline was going to take care of that . Hemp oil is another means to make oil but there is nobody interested in that and even burns cleaner than fossil fuels . I say we put all those afghanies to work on growing hemp(instead of opiates) and all the amercan farmers as well .

• foreword
    foreword
    I say we put all those afghanies to work on growing hemp(instead of opiates) and all the amercan farmers as well

I second the motion....

Maybe peace at last....LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit