Good Decisions.....

by riotgirlpeeps 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

So I was curious, besides leaving the organ, what other life altering decisions have you made that have greatly improved your life, that you wouldn't have made were you still under the "sheep" mentality?

For me, divorcing my ex, taking a chance to get involved with anyone again, and working at fulfilling my lifelong goal of running my own business (non cleaning or menial labor related). My self worth and confidence has absolutely increased for acting on these decisions.

Riot

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Leaving my ex. I was a total doormat, but i just couldnt see it. Life is imeasurably better now Im with someone who cares for me.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Leaving my ex-husband is waaaaaaaayyyy up there. Followed closely with getting an education so that I can have a career and not just a job.

Learning to think for myself is pretty awesome as well.

Damselfly

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

And the reoccuring theme is leaving bad ex's. So really being a devout jw means you put up with more bs than you should in a relationship. So it could mean that the society promotes shoddy relationships. YAY!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I got a terrible case of 'cold feet' on my first boyfriend/fiance and skipped town for a few years.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was about him that told me he wasn't the right man to marry. The wedding was to take place in the Summer and one Spring morning I just woke up and said "this is not right. I cannot go through with this", said my good-byes to my family and left the area for a long while. While I was away a friend told me he went nuts for a while, broke down suicidal and all that.

Years later and 2 divorces under his belt, I found out about his little drugs, physical abuse and cheating on his ex-wives. He's even been arrested a couple of times and done jail time for his behavior.

WOW!!! My instincts were right on target about that jerk!!!

DY

• Carmel
    Carmel

The only organ I left was my appendix and tonsils, but, hey, that was fifty years ago and its importance has faded.

carmel

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

STOP BRAGGING RIOTGIRL!!! ha kidding. good for u! i enjoy walking past the arrangement on saturday mornings to go for a motorcycle ride. i also like walking past the bookstudy group on tuesday evenings to go for a beer and chicky wingies

bethel

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I think the best decision I made was going back to school. It was during that time that I realized that I was capable of accomplishing more than just counting the time of robotic door to door door knocking. Since then, I've begun to do things I'd never thought possible had I continued to be a JW filtering every decision and thought through the WT whorganization and it's congregations.

• out of the box
    out of the box

I follow suit, divorce!

Then, back to school and thinking for myself and making my own decisions without someone judging them. And I LOVE NOT BEING WATCHED everywhere I go! (like you miss a meeting and someone sees you at the store the next day and you seem well enough to walk, then you should have been there!).

I LOVE making the friends that RELATE to ME and not just lip service because we are stuck together in the same cong. So, my relationships are better, more tailored to my real life. I do not behave this way here and that way there etc. I AM ME ALL THE TIME good or bad and being living the truth that I am a human being created with flaws and trying to live my life the best way I know how. And when I say 'I'm sorry, or that's my fault I forgot' it's the truth! What you see is what you get!

Oh, and the best part, the perfect man I met, became best friends and now my wonderful supportive and caring husband. His family all are so supportive and loving (all 9 brothers and their wives, kids...) My kids love me again...

And I should not forget to mention... I found this board and you guys!

out of the box

• under74
    under74

Going to college. Going to grad school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit