MIT engineers anti-cancer smart bomb

by seattleniceguy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

MIT has produced a nano-drug which can target tumor cells, be absorbed by them, then cut off their blood supply and deliver chemo-therapy, while leaving healthy cells unscathed. This looks very promising. Lab tests on mice increased life expectancy by over 100% compared to current best known treatment. Nano-medicine is really starting to deliver!

http://www.physorg.com/news5467.html

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

What, nothing? C'mon, this is cool stuff! :-)

SNG

• Simon
    Simon

The military has probably already created a nano-bot army that are just waiting to destroy us all !!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey ya SNG! i didn't even see this thread earlier.

i am super optimistic that we are entering a nano & bio revolution that will change the face of humanity more than the previous 6 million years of hominid evolution has. the rate of change now is almost exponential in some respects.

Once the nanocell is inside the tumor, its outer membrane disintegrates, rapidly deploying the anti-angiogenic drug. The blood vessels feeding the tumor then collapse, trapping the loaded nanoparticle in the tumor, where it slowly releases the chemotherapy.

the future is upon us. brilliant, thanks!

TS

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Wow! This is really amazing!

Talk about 'fixers'!

My sister has cancer and it looks to be terminal. I wish this was up and running now, but sadly, it will be too late to do her any good.

J

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

That's very interesting. Let's hope it doesn't take a decade or two before they start using it on the public at large. btw, very cool site, I bookmarked it. Such a variety of topics, including:

"After conquering Earth, instant noodles make space debut"

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Can someone explain to me how these nanodrugs are made/constucted. And, how they work.

Thanks

steve

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

This is just mind-boggling. I knew stuff like this was coming down the pipe, but I didn't realize we already had the tech. I wonder how long it will take to turn this into a usable medication?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

the rate of change now is almost exponential in some respects.

If you look at the last 105 years it is absolutely awseome the pace of progress

Chemical and biological processess, computers, internet, mass comunications, space travel, man on the moon, mass airplane travel, and on and on - exciting times indeed

• Mary
    Mary
    My sister has cancer and it looks to be terminal. I wish this was up and running now, but sadly, it will be too late to do her any good.

So sorry to hear this........this is a fascinating article and I hope they can use it soon..........another area I think holds the most promise is Stem Cell Therapy and cancer........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit