golly, the things i catch myself singing..

by candidlynuts 6 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

......i'm sitting here reading the board....
    start singing along with the tv..
    its that freakin froot of the loom commercial with the country song...
    have you all heard it? very heartfelt song to underwear lmao

Quote:

For people like us who grew up in the South, it was impossible to come of age without being constantly bombarded by the plaintive melodies and heartwrenching stories that have made country music a quintessentially American musical art form.

Unlike much of the noise that passes for music nowadays, true country music writers and singers have always believed, first and foremost, in telling a real story set to a catchy piece of music. But you don't see a lot of television spots using country music. It's hardly considered the trendy, youth-focused sound ad agency creatives typically obsess about nowadays.

But because it is used so rarely, country music can pop in a big way when it does pop up -- quite unexpectedly -- in a television commercial.

And pop it does in a surprisingly appealing new commercial for Fruit of the Loom underwear from the Richards Group in Dallas. Fruit of the Loom is now headquartered in Bowling Green, Ky., just up the road from country music epicenter Nashville. So it makes sense for the well-known undergarments brand to try its hand at advertising with a country twist.

The new spot casts the familiar Fruit of the Loom icons, the Fruit Guys, as a country band -- a wonderfully odd positioning -- that we hear crooning an original country tune called "You Can't Over Love." As the lyric quickly reveals, the love you can't get over is for your underwear.

Yes, it's all rather ridiculous, especially as the song recounts the tale of a boy whose hamster has died, but who still draws some comfort from wearing his tagless Fruit of the Loom underwear.

The commercial's visuals are full of people with terribly sad looks with "cold Kentucky rain" falling all around them. Lots of rain, which nicely reinforces the music's corny sentiment.

You gotta like "You Can't Over Love," if only because the commercial dares use unabashedly emotional country music to get consumers to bond with Fruit of the Loom.
  • kls
    kls

Well This coming from you is no surprise you are Candidly-Nuts, but i must admit i have been singing Christmas songs lately and don't know why ,maybe because of the heat but i sure am annoying myself.

• delilah
    delilah

lol @ KLS....me too, but they've been having their annual Christmas in July sales all over, so that could be the reason I'm singing X-Mas carols......I can't wait for christmas to come,

Delilah

• Sith
    Sith

Does placing your mouth on panties and humming count?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

LOL! Gawwwwwd, I lurv that "You Can't Overlove Your Underwear" song!

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's times like this i'm glad i don't have tv.

S

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Wow it's amazing how inspiring a commercial song can be, subliminal messages.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit