Dystopia?

by Oxnard Hamster 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

We all agree that the JWs are a cult, but are they also a dystopian society? Do the two go hand in hand? I found some characteristics about dystopian societies, which usually appear in fiction. The link is

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/dystopia

- a hierarchical society where divisions between the upper, middle and lower class are definitive and unbending

- a nation-state ruled by an upper class with few democratic ideals

- state propaganda programs and educational systems that coerce most citizens into worshipping the state and its government, in an attempt to convince them into thinking that life under the regime is good and just

- strict conformity among citizens and the general assumption that dissent and individuality are bad

- a common view of traditional life, particularly organized religion, as primitive and nonsensical (JWs
    shun many "wordly" ideals.)

- a fear or disgust of the world outside the state

- a penal system that lacks due process laws and often employs psychological or physical torture (You could count disfellowshipping, or even the fear of it, as psychological torture.)

- the banishment of the natural world from daily life (In some ways, such as holidays, etc.)

- insistence by the forces of the establishment that

- it provides the best of all possible worlds

- that all problems are due to the action of its enemies and their dupes

This isn't all of them listed on the site, but I think these are the most applicable items. Some of them are dead on matches, while others may be a bit of a reach. I'm convinced their society is definately a dystopia.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

As "dystopia" and it's opposite "utopia" (from the Greek no place) are by definition, imaginary concepts, fictional constructions, and the WT is real, the comparison is limited.

From my point of view, the WT's vision of the future is a dystopia. But then, one man's dystopia is another man's utopia..............

Lots of XJWs have recalled how reading Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four, the classic dystopia, prompted them to start questioning the JW programming. The dystopia that did it for me was The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

For me it was The Giver by Lous Lowry. The parallels are not blatantly obvious, but if you think about it, they are there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit