Polishing Glass?

by kls 9 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

Ok for all that know or even care about me restoring my car ,i have some deep scratches in the glass and saw a kit you can get that polishes the glass using some kind of grit compound and a sander. I ordered the kit but am afraid to try it has anyone done it this way or have you done something else i never heard of to polish glass.

Going go now big thunder and lighning

• JH
    JH

if you are ascared to try it on your car, try it first on a brand new neighbours car.....when they are asleep...

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I don't have any first hand experience with it but a buddy of mine used it and the windscreen came out "ok".....it had circular buffing marks in direct sunshine or streetlights at night gave it a weird halo.....but then again maybe he didn't do it right. But 90% of the time it looked fine. Not sure if that helped at all.....take the rat's advice...try it on someone else's car first. LOL

• Legolas
    Legolas

If it already has deep scratches in it what's the difference?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Well the kit is probably $ 30 or $ 40 so does she try that or just spend $ 300 or so for a new windscreen? Do I have that right KLS?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

kls I've seen this technique done by experts and even then it does leave tale tale signs of "something" like EF said above.

If you really want to try it out practice on a piece of glass until you get it perfect before you do end up having to get a new windshield it should be worth the effort.

Happy rubbing dear!

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

On the topic of glass, does anyone have glass from Pilkington glass factory?

Evanescence

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Evanescence

• kls
    kls
    if you are ascared to try it on your car, try it first on a brand new neighbours car.....when they are asleep...

Leave it to a Rat ,lol

Now that the storm is finally ,i am going to try it on other class first and the scratches and mainly on the side and back seat windows from rolling the windows up & down . After time the felt in between the windows rots and with dirt from so many years ,you wind up scratching the glass ( i didn't do it ). They are rather deep and even if i can just smooth them out would be great.

I was just wandering if anyone else had tried this and what to be careful of and how it looked after of if there is something out there that i never heard of to try.

Evil, even a halo affect would look better then these scratches .

Thanks guys

• kls
    kls

Well we did the polishing the window thing and guess what, ya , it looks worse then when we started . Now it has a haze that we can't get out and you can't even see through itBut all is not lost ,we found a place that can replace all the scratched windows ,all 4 so it turned out actually in my favor.

Lesson , don't try these glass repair kits at home unless you really know what you are doing and chances are you don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit