Moonies... An experience a friend of mine had in the late 70's

by out of the box 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• out of the box
    out of the box

A couple I knew (now baptized JWs, I brought them in) went to a lecture in Weston, Mass. They loved the lecture about life and seeking a higher spiritual plain. Right after the lecture (body guards at the doors) they were encouraged to leave their cars in the (now dark, no lighting) parking lot. They boarded a van with no windows. They told me they felt a bit threatened, but this was America and they would always be able to say 'NO'. They were curious. You know, kids (early 20's) who smoke pot and want to experience life and see different cultures.

They were driven to an unknown location and let out into a building with other 'Moonies'. They all sat on the floor (looked like a gym floor) and got a small pillow. They were hearing lectures (again body guards at the door) and in intervals were fed rice dishes with all starch. Anyway, they were now fearing being able to leave, they had had enough and were afraid to speak up. This went all night. They were alowed to nap but not get a full deep sleep being interupted often and hearing lecturing.

Then, the hook was inserted!!! They were told to sign over their bank accounts and give up all worldly goods and abandon their familes and so called friends on the outside and join this brotherhood. They were so frightened that when the opportunity came to go to the bathroom they got out (their word for it was escaped). They ran to the parking lot and hid in the van that took them there. There were a lot of people that had been brought there and the few vans were continually going to get more prospects. So, they waited. A couple of guys came soon and started up the van, they were hiding in the back under the blankets.

When the van got to a parking lot with people waiting to get on, and it parked, they opened the back doors and ran to their car. Fortunate for them they had gone to the same parking lot. They drove as fast as they could out of there. They came to my house and I fed them and put them to bed! The girl was a friend of my X sister in law. We talked about it for a long time. I was a JW baptised by then and called an elder. They were too embarassed to tell their families. He talked and prayed with us. Later we notified the police about this location where they heard the lecture. Eventually they became baptised JWs. The JWs fit them though more than it fit me. I have not heard of them since I got out. I wonder sometimes how they are doing. I don't know if they had the right rescue!!! Anyway I encouraged them to seak counceling with a professional. I don't know if they did or not. Now THAT is a dangerous CULT!

When I hear about Rev Moon on the news sometimes I cannot believe he is STILL alive and STILL at it!

out of the box

• myself
    myself

I don't really know anything abouth the moonies. What a scary experience.

JW's are scary in that they are a lot more subtle about the way they reel you in, then hold your family hostage.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The story that you told are classic mind control technique's. Don't know if they made that much of a better decision going to the JW

Will

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Many people don't know that Reverend Moon owns the WASHINGTON [D.C.] TIMES newspaper.

(Not to be confused with the much more widely regarded WASHINGTON POST)

Moon also owns United Press International.

When was the last time you heard about Moon in the news?

Moon has gone much more maiinstream and has bought his way into politics and the media.

I'm sure the WTS envies him. If you have an opportunity, rent the film "Ticket to Heaven."

• horrible life
    horrible life

Didn't United Press International UPI go out of business? All I ever see are AP, and Reuters. Is his newspaper a little dog compared to the Post?

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

The only encounter I ever had with a Moonie was when I was about 8 or 9 years old in the late 70's. A guy who looked like a Vietnam Vet with long hair came walking through our neighborhood with bags of peanuts for sale, I went and asked my folks to buy a bag and they yelled at me and said don't go near him, or take any peanuts from him, then my dad went out to chase him off, but he was already leaving. Seems selling peanuts was a common thing for them, and according to my parents, who lectured me about it after he left, they typically laced the peanuts with drugs.

• out of the box
    out of the box

AllAlongTheWatchtower'

I had heard that about the drug lacing thing but thought it was a rumor. My friends probably had some drug in their food cause they said they felt like zombies at one point.

Found this link that tells how he started:

http://www.cesnur.org/2003/vil2003_chryssides.htm

Scary stuff when they mix with politics!!! JWs too...

out of the box

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit