We need to contact newspapers that simply provide pro-JW depictions....

by Check_Your_Premises 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

...of the conventions.

For instance our local paper highlighted how this group was their to give spiritual food, and talk about family values. Ok sure, those are great things. But they can be had without joining a cult!!!

I think it would be a great service if we emailed newspapers that print this stuff, to let them know that there are other people who have opinions about this sect/cult.

News folks are pretty sensetive to the idea of presenting another side.

It would also be a great place to cite anti-jw sites, jw for blood reform, silent lambs, and groups like BRCI who offer help to those leaving the org. Cuz every dub rushes to read about the convention in the paper!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Ping......

• damselfly
    damselfly

Maybe a poster here has, or would be willing to write, a 'form' press release to print out and add some details too? Then when a local assembly came up it would be at hand to chat to the local papers with?

• willyloman
    willyloman

The one big problem with your suggestion, and I know this won't be popular, is that newspaper editors have seen it all and are by nature skeptical souls. Therefore, any "contact" you make with them had better be well prepared, perfectly formatted, and professional as possible.

Wing nut rantings on the back on an envelope won't buy credibility, nor will phone calls demanding they print the other side, a long, rambling email with lots of misspelled words and poor grammar, or any other form of "inferior" communication. These guys see professionally produced "slick" press releases come across their desks by the dozens, daily, and they throw THOSE in the trash.

If the format and appearance of your message doesn't live up to that standard, it doesn't make any difference what your message is. The one exception is a letter to the editor; it can be handwritten but even that is subject to some ground rules for format and content.

The only way for your proposal to be successful, in my professional opinion (and I'm qualified to offer it, trust me), would be for someone to set up a press agency, monitor all the media (with the help of eagle eyed scouts like yourself), and send out press releases in response to these pro-Witness feature stories that appear in the media from time to time. This would be a very large job and would require resources and dedication.

Nice idea, though.

• ljwtiamb
  • Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Yeah, I my initial thought were the established orgs out there like ajwrb.org, freeminds.org, and brci.org. Those would be the ones who are probably most established and credible.

ajwrb.org deals with current witnesses on the need to reform blood, brci.org gives fence sitting dubs and out, and freeminds.org could comment on the cult aspect thus educating the public.

Maybe that would be a proper role for protest, in that it would provide a front for opposition. Reporters always want to ask protesters what they are complaining about.

I personally thought of the letter to the editor in my town, but I would risk getting made. Mostly I was just hoping to point them to a handful of websites that could offer some consenting opinion, and give them pause next year to not just printing the jw party line.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Does anybody know of any press releases that could simply pointed to that are credible?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    Wing nut rantings on the back on an envelope won't buy credibility, nor will phone calls demanding they print the other side, a long, rambling email with lots of misspelled words and poor grammar, or any other form of "inferior" communication.

Hey buddy! What are you trying to say!!! I only counted 3 spelling errors and 3 grammar errors in my wing nut rant!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I sent an email to freeminds, ajwrb, and brci asking if they have any press releases.

CYP

• out of the box
    out of the box

Check_Your_Premises

All you need is some organization! Set a plan, start a group for such an end. Make the goal of your group to do just watching the news for such reports. I think their timing is around conventions so that it is a 'witness' to the neighborhood and community. Then, instead of a press release, post an answer for the comments from readers section. I think this might be a start! Recruit from boards such as this one for that end.

Or, ask to start a section here for that (political type) and ask members to post what they see and the address that members can write to for the purpose of rebuffing or commenting. There are so many newspapers that it would be hard to keep up with it all. I am sure an online search could lead to some to start with.???

out of the box

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit