Does anyone in upstate NY remember this?

by DazedAndConfused 2 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Way back in the late 70's early 80's where a "brother" killed 3-4 of his own children? I remember dating a young man from Mechanicville in the early 70's. At the time this came to light I was married and the things I remember, are things from the paper and mostly from the rumour mill.

This man had married the sister of the young man I had dated years ago. I don't remember the sequence but I believe that not only had he married the sister to the one I dated but also his father married another sister in the family.

Being from Mechanicville, such a small town, they all went to the Troy, NY congregation. From what I remember,... this man was a servant. Anyway, he killed his children by suffocation. One of them, I believe, he put a handful of coins in the crib and the child suffocated on a coin. I may be wrong on that one but I do know that he suffocated other ones. At the time it blamed on SIDS. It wasn't until many years later that the medical professionals knew what to look for in a SIDS child in autopsy.

There was one cop who never gave up,... he KNEW this man was guilty but it wasn't until many years later that he was able to pin it to the man. I believe they exhumed the bodies and found out, by autopsy, that these children did not die from SIDS.

What at first tipped this cop off about the guilt of this man was right from the first killing. It was just before or just after the funeral and this man showed up at his in-laws house honking his horn and waving...from his BRAND NEW CAMARO! After this first child died the insurance policies on subsequent children became higher and higher. This plus other things kept this man in this cops mind.

I remember after the last killing he and his wife and child had come to our congregation to visit. It was shortly after that that he was arrested. I remember his wife at the time was very prominently (sp) quoted in the newspaper as not believing that he had killed her children. That she stood behind him 100%. He was ultimately convicted.

Does anyone out there remember this story? And if so, do you remember any details, names, exact timeframe? I have tried to find things on the net about this and without an exact name I am at a loss. If anyone remembers anything please IM me. Thanks.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I lived up there and had friends in Troy but it's not ringing a bell of course I was late 80's... Lots of whacko witlesses up that way though!

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

Does the name Bowers ring a bell?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit