A Saturday Night Dose of Heidegger

by dunsscot 7 Replies latest jw friends

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Here is a selection I thought you folks would enjoy:

"The being that exists is man. Man alone exists. Rocks are, but they do not exist. Trees are, but they do not exist. Horses are, but they do not exist. Angels are, but they do not exist. God is, but he does not exist. The proposition 'man alone exists' does not mean by any means that man alone is a real being while all other beings are unreal and mere appearances or human ideas. The proposition 'man exists' means: man is that being whose Being is distinguished by the open-standing standing-in in the unconcealedness of Being, from Being, in Being. The existential nature of man is the reason why man can represent beings as such, and why he can be conscious of them."

Duns the Scot

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Er, it's Sunday afternoon... LOL

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

I guess that tells you something about my location, Steph. :-)

Duns the Scot

• larc
    larc

Hello Duns,

Regarding Heidegger, I noticed he said this without using any big words. How remarkable.

It sum up what he said: Man is the center of his own universe.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Hi larc,

:Hello Duns,
    Regarding Heidegger, I noticed he said this without using any big words. How remarkable.:

I think most any continental philosopher will tell you that Heidegger is one of the most formidable thinkers to peruse. It took me a while to get used to Heidegger's style, and some of it is still pretty difficult for me to wade through. But Heidegger can use some obscure and sesquipedalian language himself when he wants to do so. Do not let this snippet fool you.

Sincerely,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• larc
    larc

Duns,

It has been nice chatting with you, but I think this will be the end of our conversations. Like Farkel, I am very tired, and have to regenerate my energy for issues that I consider to be of a higher priority.

I wish you well.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I guess that tells you something about my location, Steph. :-)

And I guess it tells you something about mine too, Duns.

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

It's more fun if you read it like this:

Zee beeeng thet ixeests is mun. Mun elune-a ixeests. Rucks ere-a, boot zeey du nut ixeest. Trees ere-a, boot zeey du nut ixeest. Hurses ere-a, boot zeey du nut ixeest. Ungels ere-a, boot zeey du nut ixeest. Gud is, boot he-a dues nut ixeest. Zee prupuseeshun mun elune-a ixeests dues nut meun by uny meuns thet mun elune-a is a reel beeeng vheele-a ell oozeer beeengs ere-a unreel und mere-a eppeerunces oor hoomun idees. Zee prupuseeshun mun ixeests meuns: mun is thet beeeng vhuse-a Beeeng is deestingooished by zee oopee-stundeeng stundeeng-in in zee uncunceeledness ooff Beeeng, frum Beeeng, in Beeeng. Zee ixeestentiel netoore-a ooff mun is zee reesun vhy mun cun represent beeengs es sooch, und vhy he-a cun be-a cunsceeuoos ooff zeem.

Heidegger cooking up some 'losophy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit