current $ made at Bethel?

by carla 7 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

Anyone know what the current payment for workers at Bethel is today? Last I ever heard it was 14.00 a week, certainly this must have gone up since then, wouldn't it? Do the Bethel workers and the 'farm' workers make the same? Are they both expected to stay 4 years? thanks carla

• kid-A
    kid-A

Last I heard was $80 a month... I have no idea how they live on that.

• Sushi Crow
    Sushi Crow

I talked with my brother about this 3 or 4 years ago, I believe he told me it was $38.00 per month (times two, he is married). This is my memory, it may be wrong. I'm thinking about calling him soon. If I do, all ask him and let you know.

There is no way to live off of this. Everyone I've ever met in Bethel gets financial support from relatives.

Sushi Crow

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

as of mid April, 113 US a month.

thats 90 pounds for the brits

and 15164843123 $ canadian.

but seriouisly, 113

• blondie
    blondie

Carla, it used to be $14 a month at least 40 years ago and about 30 years ago Bethel dropped the 4 year signup requirement.

The allowance is broken up into 3 categories, clothing, travel, and miscellaneous. The theory is that they have food, clothing, medical, dental, laundry provided and at cost services such as dry cleaning, shoe repair, haircuts/styling. I understand that they pay some towards medical now. The have donated clothing from the neighboring congregations in what they call "hoppers." Some isn't too bad.

But a Bethelite without outside financial help from family and congregation, live a simple life. If you own a car, insurance is expensive in NY. A brother used to provide lower cost insurance to Bethelites in my days associated with Bethel and Bethelites. The only way to make it work is to take on riders and have them pay their travel allowance to you to defray the costs of owning a car. Especially in NYC, Bethelites would prefer to donate and ride in a car than take the subway. Parking at Bethel though is another issue (based on seniority again).

In rural areas, such as Patterson and Wallkill, if you don't have a car, you are dependent on other Bethelites to get to the meetings and anything else. Parking is not a problem though.

In days gone past, Bethelites worked at jobs outside Bethel (g-jobbing per JT) and made some money. But that has been clamped down on although I know of Bethelites that do it still under the table.

So unless a Bethelite has made a financial contact with a JW in their congregation by Bethel or one at home, or their family are JWs and can give them something from time to time, things can be hard.

It is not surprising that many Bethelites come home with doubts and disillustionment.

Blondie

PS it was around $100 US in 1986; $113 in 2005, not much change.

• kid-A
    kid-A

my god, $ 113 dollars per month in New York City????? That would last, what, about an hour? Just incredible that somebody could "choose" this as a lifestyle!!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

is it true that they have to sign any independent private income over to the WTBS?

I heard s.o. claim they have to make a vow of poverty (chastity no) obedience automatic.

HB

• damselfly
    damselfly

And it's considered a privilege to serve @ Bethel?

Sign me out of the unpaid slave labor class.

Damselfly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit