No Shunning For Me????

by mapleaf18 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

I stopped into a local grocery store with my boyfriend and as we were squeezing the brocolli, i hear a big "HI" behind me. For the life of me I couldn't remember her name. It was a "sister" from my used-to-be congo. She started TALKING to me (although I had written a letter of DA about 2-3 mos ago and I'm SURE they announced it)

She asked if my boyfriend was from the HALL!!! (he has a BEARD/goatee and shaved head). I know this person had a history of psych problems but she just kept talking on and on and on! I was a little un-nerved and she introduced herself (BING i connected with the name) to my boyfriend.

What gives????!!!

• Balsam
    Balsam

She probably missed the meetings with they announced your Disass'ing, and no one bothered to tell her. And then perhaps her mental illness affects her memory. Kinda funny in hindsight wasn't it. LOL LOL

I am so glad I don't live anywhere near the dubs where I used to be a JW. Helps having 50 miles between us. LOL

Balsam

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

i plan on moving next year about 45 minutes away from old congo. of course there is a different congo about 10 minutes away

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

....and we've been conditioned into EXPECTING to be shunned - lol. If you feel robbed of a shunning mapleleaf, I'm sure we can oblige.....

AS a JW I refused to shun - in fact I made a point of doing the opposite (wouldn't a d'fed person - a repentent one -feel bad enough anyway? Fair to rub their nose in it for 6 months / length of time elders decide? - Where does the time limit come from? Bible - based?) Sheeesh.

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

frankly, i'm surprised it didn't spread like wildfire as she is GOOD friends with another mentally disturbed sister who had me doing things for her constantly!!!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

This probably has to do with her mental illness as dubs, especially in the USA, are very fanatical about shunning ex dubs. They can never come to terms with people abandoning the fold.

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

when i think about it, there was really no one there that i was really close to. it was not a close knit congo and i was a newcomer (10 years) as opposed to those who grew up in that area.

shunning really wouldn't effect me like it has for those who grew up in the same area through childhood and now adulthood. no one there that i really miss, most were just "users" who would constantly ask for favours, etc.

one family in particular had children who were good friends with mine. both of their kids now have psychiatric problems and have been hospitalized for it. the father, although young (late thirties) is a staunch dubbie and rules with an iron hand over his wife and family. although being a single mom, i actually made more $$ than this elder did (food service career w/ stay at home mom) and they were pleased as punch to have me take their kids out for a meal or a movie many many times. (my treat, of course)

this elder was the one that took the initiative in trying to set up a JC for me. that's when i wrote my DA letter.

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

It is quite odd how JWs apply their rules. Rocky and I have been shunned by congregation members for many years, just because we quit going to meetings. Now that he is DF'd, there really has been little change. The biggest change has been in contact with JW family members (his brother & sister-in-law, my half-brother and sis-in-law, my sister, my parents). They are all taking a strict approach to the shunning policy. My mother will not call my house for fear Rocky will answer the phone. The congregation and Rocky's family are shunning me, even though I have not formally been DF'd or DA'd. My dad and half-brother will not talk to either of us, but my mother and sister will continue to talk to me until something if formally announced at the KH, although they must call me without my father's knowledge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit