Unity: the theme for the monthly TV program

by leaving_quietly 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

There's been numerous discussions about the singing cart thing in this month's video. I decided to watch at least a portion of the rest of the program though because sometimes things are said that are interesting to pick up on. This one started off on the topic of unity, and, unbelievably, Herd talked about brainwashing and how we like to have our brains cleaned. That was a bit surprising to hear from the top.

Then there was a portion about the international conventions and about how so many volunteered. I was interested in this part because of of the I.C.s was in Seattle, and there were a few people in the video that I recognized. They bragged about how much time they spent or how many volunteers there were, including a bit about having a quota of 500 people every day to greet the international delagates. They interviewed people who talked about how wonderful it was to be a volunteer and that they enjoyed it so much, and about how they loved seeing their brothers from another country. There's no doubt in my mind that these folks were genuine and really enjoyed the experience.The sad part of all of this is that this is how JWs feel love and faith is demonstrated. Christ said at Matthew 5:46, 47: "For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?"

The other thing I became convinced of is that if you don't think the organization endorses those buttons advertising the website, think again. Several were interviewed who had them on. This is fully acknowledged and supported by the organization.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

You know, somehow I'd never really applied that scripture to JWs, but you're absolutely right - they do just as the nations do.  Though a JW would tell you that they show love to everyone by waking them up on saturday and trying to force their cult on them.

The comment about brainwashing is one I've heard before at a meeting.  It's the stock way of twisting a word to redefine it as a good thing, part of the loaded language of a cult.  It is telling that they're willing to admit that the common perception of JWs it that they're brainwashed, though.

• brandnew
    brandnew

I sat in a parking lot this morning, i woke up very early, and got to my destination about 45 minutes early.  So im sittin in my truck, and two jw's set up 2 carts.  I was less than 20 feet away from them ,for 45 minutes and they never offered a tract, or magazine.

Not like i wanted them either, but yeah not showing an interest in nobody but their own.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Lq, my mother used to say the exact same thing about brainwashing...'some people call us brainwashed, but this is a good thing, our brains are washed clean!!!' 

Gotta say I never agreed it was a good thing. Think I've been a quiet rebel my whole life. 

i am surprised someone at the top said that, too. 

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Very good thread!

Great points made above.

Indeed it is amazing how a negative expression such as "brainwashed" has been turned in to a "positive" by cult leaders throughout history....

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    Greeting people from other countries and the joy that it brings is not unique to international conventions of JW. I regularly attend seminars where people come from various parts of the world. Today I am in Korea where I met with people from 27 different countries and I am heading a task force with people from China, Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. Some of them speak very little English but we manage to work together. We hug and say goodbye after exchanging contact information so we can stay in touch until we meet again. JW believe they are the only ones to experience unity...let me tell you it isn't exclusive to the WT! 
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Someone should take a few key video snippets of the sermon and edit them together with choice quotes from the Walsh trial.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit