Need Help on 1967 Baptism Questions

by Bluegrass Tom 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

I have some good researching capablity, but I am caught-up short on this one. I need any help that I can get.

I was baptized in 1967. I am trying to find out the questions that were asked at baptism. This is before the"Lamp" book was released. The Lamp book was released in the late summer during the district assembly. I was baptized before this.

I also am trying to find out the questions that are presently asked today at baptisms.

Any help is appreciated.

• blondie
    blondie

Just to clarify, you are asking for the questions that are asked at the assembly/convention to the candidates just before they go off the be baptized.

Not the questions that are discussed with the candidates by the elders to determine if they are qualified to be baptized.

The questions asked today have not changed since 1985:

BAPTISM QUESTIONS

February 15, 1964 Watchtower, pg 127:

1 Have you repented of sin with such restitution as you are able, and are you trusting in the merit of Christ's sacrifice for the forgiveness of your sins and the basis of your justification?
      2 Have you made a full consecration of yourself with all the powers that you possesstalent, money, time, influenceall to the Lord, to be used faithfully in His service, even unto death?"

May 1, 1973 Watchtower, pg 280:

1 Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation precedes from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?
      2 On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

June 1, 1985 Watchtower, p30:

1 On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
      2 Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?
  • Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

Blondie:

Thanks. You are great!. Yes I did mean the questions that were asked at the Assembly when baptized.

Thanks again.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

What about 1956? That's the year I was baptized.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek
    What about 1956? ; That's the year I was baptized.

Ditto, BonnieC. Westerly, R.I. circuit Assy, November 16. Do you reckon, they way the two questions have been changing over the years, our contract is no longer valid? That our apostasy (their word) never happened?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

So what is it with the "two question" pattern? Why always two questions that are changed from time to time?

• sinis
    sinis

Has anyone ever wondered WHY the questions are asked even in the first place? Or why they make it such a BIG thing that draws attention to the PERSON (which is a big no, no)? Does anyone really think that the Etheopian eunich was asked these questions before he was baptised? Very odd and unbiblical.

• Scully
    Scully

Why two questions?

The only thing that I can think of is that it's a rite of passage, like marriage, that must be entered into with the consent of the individual.

At a wedding ceremony both the bride and the groom give their consent to be married to each other.

At a JW baptism, the first question has to relate to the candidate's meeting the conditions for baptism:

1 Have you repented of sin with such restitution as you are able, and are you trusting in the merit of Christ's sacrifice for the forgiveness of your sins and the basis of your justification?

1 Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation precedes from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

1 On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second question is a statement of the terms and conditions that are expected of the candidate after their baptism:

2 Have you made a full consecration of yourself with all the powers that you possess talent, money, time, influence all to the Lord, to be used faithfully in His service, even unto death?"

2 On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

2 Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

The order in which the questions are asked is important too. The first question is more innocuous, more germaine in its intent, and more likely for the candidate to respond to in an affirmative manner. Once they've put one foot over the thresh hold, it's difficult - in a public situation - to step it back in protest to the second question that ultimately involves putting your conscience on the back burner to do the will of the "spirit-directed organization".

• sinis
    sinis

The whole concept of asking questions isn't even Biblical. You don't even have to ask silly questions to get married if you go to a JP.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit