Life-threatening blind fanaticism

by Grace 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Grace
    Grace

In the aftermath of yesterday's London tragedy, the radio stations were rife with those calling in and talking about some religious fanatics on the other side of the world. The radio commentator himself talked about how barber shops in Baghdad were being bombed and barbers were having their lives threatened (or taken) because of one religion's decrees that hair should not be cut. The commentary kept asking how do we negotiate with people like this?

For the rank and file of "faithful" witnesses, they MUST follow whatever the GB demands even at the cost of their own lives (the blood issue being perhaps the best example). The GB tells Witnesses to shun even their own family members, and no questions are asked: family members are cast out and ignored for the rest of their lives. The GB strips all family-like celebrations away from their members, and the mighty faithful don't even question (like not even having a simple turkey dinner as an act of family Thanksgiving). They just obey. Obey, obey obey. Don't ask, don't question. Great faith means having great obedience. Marriages are torn apart, children are marginalized from their peers, individuals don't pursue their God-given talents and potentials (what is the GB's view of higher education again?) Don't question, don't wonder, just obey.

Religious fanaticism is not just an issue on the other side of the world. It is walking up our sidewalks on Saturday mornings.

Grace to you.

• Ellie
    Ellie

do you mind if I print this off and send it to my mum?

Its exactly what I've been trying to get through to her only I've not been able to find the words to say it to her.

• Grace
    Grace

Wouldn't that be wonderful if even one of the rank and file begin to see the corruption in the Watchtower ways? Of course you may send it to your mom! Give her my email, too:

[email protected]

Grace to you.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Religious fanaticism is not just an issue on the other side of the world. It is walking up our sidewalks on Saturday mornings.

totally, Grace. nice write up.

IMO, cults are worse, but religion is terrorism. emotional terrorism.

and really, religion/magical thinking of any type is an impediment to mankind really making the progress required to not only survive as a species, but to realize our true potential as super-species apes exploring the universe. i mean, what's the difference with someone thinking that they are just passing through this old world and onto heaven, and as a result not really caring about what happens with our environment or other humanitarian issues because "god will make an accounting" at some place in the future? that really is a rip off to people who are non-theists and also the minority. and of course, like the terrorists, they are only hurting themselves too. it's the slow, unobvious, self destruction.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The jws are fanatical at a time when serious christian religions in this more enlightened age have done away with the rigid and domineering attitude they had in past times.

The jws are totally anachronistic and out of place within the modern context they live in a victorian age and good luck to all the masochists that want to be part of it, in a freedom loving age.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Great post Grace. And I agree with you tetrapod - the fact that some world leaders (ahem ... bush) claim to believe in God must ease their consciences as they run ripshod over the planet ravaging it's precious resources in a race to .... where? If all this LAST DAYS talk would cease and mankind actually took responsibility for the survival of the species then advancements would come much quicker and life expectancy would increase. Think of all that could be accomplished if the stem cell issue and cloning were debated without godspeak.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Very sad that most wars and murders are done in the name of religion and/or religious beliefs.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I'm in a book group that's reading "Panther in the Sky"--an historical novel about Techumseh--which is reminding me that Americans have never had difficulty establishing rationale to take what they wanted by any means necessary and for turning their victims into their oppressors. I'm too ignorant to know if this is simply human history of if there's something about how western civilization developed that lends makes this inevitable. Certainly religion has provided part of the rationale, but without it, we still seem to do just fine at assuring ourself that raping and pillaging is really self defense.

It would be lovely if religion were an effective counterbalance to what is probably a characteristic of the behavior of human organizations instead of being a shaper and motivator of it.

The Watch Tower is seeming to be very small beer at this point.

• Netty
    Netty

Very good post Grace. Thank you. Scary to think of what our witness family member, may still yet do in the future, if they were ordered to by their cult leaders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit