International Aid

by jula71 3 Replies latest social current

• jula71
    jula71

I have started a new thread on international aid. On a different thread this topic come up and was off topic. Some points were brought up that have to be refuted. In reference to the international aid America gives:

" [Americans] are regularly told by politicians and the media, that America is the world's most generous nation. This is one of the most conventional pieces of 'knowledgeable ignorance'. According to the OECD, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, the US gave between $6 and $15 billion in foreign aid in the period between 1995 and 1999. In absolute terms, Japan gives more than the US, between $9 and $15 billion in the same period. But the absolute figures are less significant than the proportion of gross domestic product (GDP, or national wealth) that a country devotes to foreign aid. On that league table, the US ranks twenty-second of the 22 most developed nations. As former President Jimmy Carter commented: 'We are the stingiest nation of all'. Denmark is top of the table, giving 1.01% of GDP, while the US manages just 0.1%. The United Nations has long established the target of 0.7% GDP for development assistance, although only four countries actually achieve this: Denmark, 1.01%; Norway, 0.91%; the Netherlands, 0.79%; Sweden, 0.7%. Apart from being the least generous nation, the US is highly selective in who receives its aid. Over 50% of its aid budget is spent on middle-income countries in the Middle East, with Israel being the recipient of the largest single share "

Like most propaganda pieces this is composed of some truths with half-truths. For example, America officially gives about 9 billion in aid. True. Officially. What is not mentioned is the 49 billion given by private and corporate donations. You see they use the 9 billion against the total donation by other countries. Above Japan is cited as giving more, but it is Japans TOTAL contribution, not the official government amount, You see most Americans believe it should not be up to the police power of government to take your money and force you to give it to others, it should be done willingly, and it is. Another interesting point is the list of countries that reach the UN’s expectations of aid that should be given. Denmark, Norway, Netherlands and Sweden. What’s interesting is this, taxes. Denmark-49.9% of your income is taken for taxes, Norway- 45.5%, Netherlands- 46.0%, and Sweden-56.1% of your income is taken by the government. And the US- 30.1% leaving Americans more in their pocket to give what and when we want. Which we do to the tune of 33.6 Billion dollars a year. Just had to clear that up.

• Sith
    Sith

Nice try, Jula. However, the United States will always be the Great Satan to Muslim extremists and the bleeding-heart left. And you know it

• melmoth
    melmoth

It's easy enough to find more recent statistics from the source you cite (OECD). Here's a link to a small PDF with official aid figures for 2002 & 2003:
    http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/19/52/34352584.pdf
    You'll find that in 2003 the US gave $16b in official aid, by far the highest of the 22 countries considered. Japan was #2 at $9b.
    As a percentage of Gross Domestic Income (GDI), US aid ranks last, at 0.15%, just behind Italy. Norway was first (0.92%). Japan's $9b represents 0.2% of its GDI, while the average among the 22 countries was 0.25%.
    Your point on lower US taxation and private donations might well be valid, to some extent anyway, but I'd prefer to see the real numbers on that, along with where it actually went, and how that compares to other countries in both real and relative terms. If you want to dispute the stats as misleading, that's fine. Just do it properly.
    Just so we're clear though, the point about the US being the 'cheapest' developed country - in terms of official aid, measured against its wealth - remains 100% valid.
    And to put our $16b annual aid into perspective: we currently add an average of $1.6b daily (yes, daily) to our national debt.
    There are contributions we might make as individuals voluntarily, as you state. Then there are things we expect the government to do on our behalf, with our tax money. I would argue that well-directed foreign aid these days can contribute to both our security and economic well-being (in a global economy) - and as such, I wouldn't mind seeing our official aid rate at least average. After all, there's no problem getting another $10b; we can just borrow it from China.

• jula71
    jula71

melmoth, welcome to the board!! Your concerns are well placed. Here is the info, the tax info I used: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/resourcesandtourism/components/6080a.html and a updated tax site is: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/tax_tot_tax_wed_sin_wor

As far as the amount of aid: http://www.usaid.gov/fani/ch06/objectives02.htm

Again, I believe in giving freely for example, a story. You're walking down the street with a friend and you pass a beggar. Do you have to right to reach in your pocket and give him $10? Obviously, yes. That being said, does your friend have the right to reach in your pocket and pull out $10 and give it? Better yet, does your friend have the right to pull a gun on you and reach in your pocket and take $10? as I said, I don't believe the police power of government is entitled to take your money and give it away, it should be done of your own free will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit