Poison Ivy and Jewelweed

by sonnyboy 2 Replies latest jw friends

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

For anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors, this may be helpful.

Here in the U.S. it's prime poison ivy season. For some reason, my yard is a haven for every type of 'poison' plant. If I skip yardwork for a couple weeks, I'll have poison ivy, poison, oak, and poison sumac sprouting up in every spot that can't be reached by the lawnmower. Last year I didn't know what they were; I thought that these plants only grew in the forest. So, like a dummy, I begin pulling them from the flowerbeds by hand. I had no idea that poison ivy could climb trees! I yanked those bastards down by hand too. The leaves were huge.

Needless to say, within a few days I began seeing little bumps form on my hands (only the back for some reason). I wasn't sure what it was, so I didn't pay it much mind. Over the course of a few days, the bumps were everywhere and began to blister. That's when the lightbulb finally turned on and I put two and two together. I checked the internet for pictures of poison ivy, oak, and sumac, and sure enough, every single 'weed' I'd been pulling up consisted of these three plants.

After about a week the rash was still spreading and calamine was doing nothing, so I began to look for cures on the Internet. I came upon a product called "Amazing Jewelweed Soap" and thought I'd give it a try. After using the soap for one day (and I mean scrubbing the hell out of myself), the rash was stopped in its tracks. No new bumps. And the bumps that existed began to dry up within two days.

So, if you or your loved ones have a run in with a poisonous plant, look for this soap. It's cheaper than most over-the-counter "cures" and it actually works.

I forgot to add that I ran into more poison ivy a few days ago and got a few small bumps, but after I used the soap I didn't see any more.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thanks for posting this.........I have poison ivy right now myself and am trying to get rid of it..........and also fighting it in my yard............It is everywhere.........what a pain it is to deal with.

purps

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Good luck with it. I'm buying some brush killer today and I'm going to spray everything around my house (except for the shrubs). They say that poison ivy can infect you even after it's dead. You also shouldn't burn it since the smoke can be infectious.

The strange thing is, I was never allergic to it as a kid. I was constantly outdoors, playing in all sorts of foliage, and I never got it once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit