Deep Impact

by the_classicist 8 Replies latest social current

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Apparently, NASA is going to blow a stadium sized hole in a comet on the 4th of July. The spacecraft doing this will be named "Deep Impact"; apparently the fact that it has the same name as a dooms-day movie is only a "coincidence". Apparently this spacecraft will send out a "probe" that will blow the stadium sized hole, have to wonder what kind of "probe" it is, eh.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

saw a documentary about near earth objects colliding with the earth and what is being done about it on the History Channel last night - it was good but a little scary

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Well we have to get rid of our old nukes somehow no?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It would be good to see the old nukes put to a useful purpose

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i hope the plan all goes to bollox

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    i hope the plan all goes to bollox

Why?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I'm thinking this is just an excuse the geeks at JPL came up with so their families wouldn't give them a hard time about going in to work on July 4th...

• potleg
    potleg

Hey, just hold on there...didn't old Joe Rutherford say that mankind would never be able to leave the envelope of the earth's atmosphere? Maybe all those moon landings, shuttle flights and now blowing up asteroids is fake. Somebody's telling lies...maybe it was the angels that were whispering in his ear.

• Netty
    Netty

Wow, thats really interesting. Can't wait to see what happens on fourth of July.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit