Jimakazi's top dozen places to visit in NZ

by jimakazi 2 Replies latest jw friends

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

Someone on the JWD forum asked for a top 10 places to visit in NZ - and sI couldn't keep to 10 so here my top dozen.

I personally love the South Island, and the West coast is magical.
    You fly in to Wellington, take the ferry to Picton, South Island, then head for the west coast.
    [1] If it's summer head for Kiateriteri 1st which has NZ's best beach, and the Able Tasman National Park. A couple of days sea kayaking here is an unforgettable experience - golden sand from marble rock, also if there visit Golden bay which is over the Takaka hill, the hill is an amzing drive and the views inspire.

[2] The West Coast; Basically it's a thin strip of land running most of the length of the isalnd bordered by the ocean on one side and 13,000 ft mountains on the other. There is unspoilt native forests, glaciers, wild beachs [athough a little cold for most tastes]. The mountain passes to get to and from the Westcoast are also worth while.

[3] Queenstown which is basically at the Southern end of the westcoast road and is hailed as the adventure capital of the world, with Bungy jumping, jetboating, white water rafting, skiing, tramping, eating, boozing, etc etc. It overlooks a glacial lake. Allow at least a couple of days..

[4] Further south ansd heading west again is Milford - this is the absolute best and basically a recent glacial landscape, steep as hell with snow melting in mountains, and falling as waterfals down sheer cliffs to the sea below. Don't drive this - the views are too good to have to drive take a bus from Queenstown, or take the scenic flight option.

[5] Mt Cook National park, basically the other side of the westcoast road. Stay at the Hermitage which is a classy hotel miles from anywhere [or backpackers], this is a nice place to enjoy being totally surrounded by mountains. From here take the Aurther pass back to the Westcoast, where we head back over the east coast towards Kaikoura.

[6] But 1st we stop at Maruia Springs. A japanese bathhouse, naked bathing traditional Japanese style [men and woman separate], outdoor natural style rock pools, cold plunge pool, japanese massaging shower, a glacial valley, mountain with snow, beech forest, traditional Japanese dining or western style, noce accomadation with no TV. Just relax......

[7] Kiakoura [in maori Kia means food, koura means crayfish]. This is now more famous for its humpback whale watching and swimming with dolphins - book in advance. Then back to the North Island.

[8] Wellington - a rest up - visit Te Papa [mueseum of NZ which is something special]. Check out Kaitoke forest park AKA Rivendale from Lord of the Rings. have a beer with the locals, watch a game of Rugby at the cake tin.

[9] National Park, the 1st of NZ's natiopnal parks. Stay in the Chateau or backpacker - the Chateau is an old worlde style hotel situated on the slopes of an active volcano [but out of the way of any flows]. Good skiing in winter, nice walks, watefalls and things if your taste fun to the wilderness [Lord of the rings Mt Doom used some of the volcanic landscape found here.

[10] Head north via Taupo to Rotorua. This has geothemic mud pools and stuff. Very touristy and if you have seen Yelowstone then possible pass.

[11] Wiatomo Caves. Ok this is where I grew up but there are 2 tourist caves where you can be guides and lots of wild caving adventures from black water rafting in wetsuites on tyre tubes, to the lost world which involves a 300 foot abseil.

[12] The bay of Islands north of Auckland. See the giant Kauri forsts, take a boat trip in in the bays. Generally enjoy. [This is where we are heading this Xmas.

• Jourles
    Jourles

My goal someday is to go to NZ for about a month. I would like to try the skiing down there, but I also would like to trek through the "wilderness." So what time of year is the best to come? Do you have year-round skiing? If the cinematography from LOTR is any indication of the general island, I might not end up coming back...

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

Hi Jourles

Skiing is from late June until about October - with skiing in the North Island sometime open over Xmas break. The best skiing is in the South Island and Queenstown is mecca for NZ skiers [and lots of visitors]. Queenstown has 2 closely located major Skifields, Corenet Peak and The Remarkables, and another slightly further away called Cardrona.

The mountain wilderness areas of NZ are not recommended in Winter, or even early Spring unless you are well prepared [there can be an avalanche risk in many of the moutain areas] and should never be attempted alone. I've done heaps of "tramping" AKA hiking with a pack and camping throughout NZ and it is very special. Having no wild animals like bears or snakes helps.

In terms of outdoor hiking [and it's not on my dozen which is aimed at a more general visitor], my number 1 spot is Nelson Lakes National park. It is has 2 main lakes fromed when the glaciers retreated and a lot of tramping tracks over the mountains paases, and through the valleys laeding to the lakes. The best trip of my life was a week in October one year when it snowed while we were in a cabin [called huts] on top of one of the ranges. Waste deep snow drifts encounted the next day and the next 3 nights were spent in hutts where they were surrounded by snow, and mountains [we had to clear snow from one hut to get in the door].

For general Hiking I recommend November through March.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit