Damn Exciting!

by the_classicist 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Okay, so I'm reveiwing the cases for and against the doctrine of sola scripture, when I see a patirstic quote attributed to St. Augustine, in De Unitate Ecclesiae. So I'm trying to find it and a reference website said there was no english translation.

Then I start searching for it in Latin, and I came across "Epistola ad Catholicos de Secta Donatistarum vulgo de Unitate Ecclesiae."

So, now, just going through it I'm finding patristic gems. If you look through the scriptures at the start they refer to Apostolic tradition, yet ones a little later (such as Iraeneus) consider the scriptures (NT) to be the written form of Apostolic tradition.

Now, in this work by St. Augustine, this line jumped out at me: Solae Scripturae sunt fundamentum veritatis. Only the scriptures are the foundation of truth. But Catholic apologists say that sola scriptura was invented by Luther (as a Catholic, I'm finding these patristic developments quite interesting).

The only problem: not one translation in English, its only translated into Italian. So, I'm going to go to the Regent College Library at UBC, and look up the Latin manuscript, and then, hopefully my skill is this high, translate it!

Perhaps this is dorky, but hey!

http://www.sant-agostino.it/latino/lettera_cattolici/index.htm

• IronGland
    IronGland

You are easily excited. Dont start collecting stamps or your heart will race so much people will assume you are on the pipe.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Doesn't anyone else find this exciting? I mean, considering how Catholics (and Lutherans) consider Augustine the Doctor of Grace, it's pretty big; and the fact that it doesn't have an English translation means it isn't widely disseminated (possible conspiracy?; Catholics wouldn't want this letter to be read much if it confirms what I think it confirms, so they, as they have the majority interest in Augustine, simply don't translate it).

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Solae Scripturae sunt fundamentum veritatis

That sounds like a tattoo...

I'm thinking back of neck or inner thigh...

• luna2
    luna2

I'm sure if I was the scholar that you are, I'd be excited too. As it is, I have just about enough brain power to understand only the most vague outlines of what you are talking about. Sorry, hon.

• jula71
    jula71

Damn it......can't rub these goose pimples down!

OK in all seriousness. How many scriptures are wrong due to faulty translation? Even a good translation is still up to interpretation. Which 9 times out of 10 is wrong to what the writer may wanted to express.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Ok, so I checked it in Minge's source, and it didn't contain the heading that was there, but on the good side, it was implicit in the text.

Gar, too much mouldy books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit