Did Gentile Christians celebrate holidays and stuff? Evidence?

by ithinkisee 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Does anyone have some good references I can look up on some specific differences between Gentile and Jewish Christians in the first century?

The reason I ask is because I get the impression from the scriptures that the Gentile Christians probably even celebrated worldly holidays and attended pagan festivals still - while the Jewish Christians did not. Perhaps they even looked and dressed differently. So in the Book of Acts where it says they hope to add "no further burden" but this (fornication, blood et al) that was pretty much it. There was no rigid lifestyle put in place.

Are there some books or websites with references that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help ...

-ithinkisee

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Not really much from the first century (I guess 1 Clement could be from that time).

Start off with volume 1: http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I remember seeing in one of St. Paul's letters his admonition not to eat anything sacrificed to idols. My knowledge of Greco-Roman religion is sketchy, but you could do some more research as to why Paul had to say that.

• jula71
    jula71
    *** w96 7/15 pp. 19-20 Maintain Unity in These Last Days ***
    16 We can help to maintain Christian unity even when making a decision that is totally personal and neither right nor wrong Scripturally. How so? By showing loving concern for others who may be affected by our decision. To illustrate: In the congregation in ancient Corinth, a question arose regarding meat sacrificed to idols. Of course, a Christian would not participate in an idolatrous ceremony. However, it was not sinful to eat properly bled leftover meat of this kind that was sold in a public market. (Acts 15:28, 29; 1 Corinthians 10:25) Nevertheless, the consciences of some Christians were troubled over the eating of this meat. Paul therefore urged other Christians to avoid stumbling them. In fact, he wrote: “If food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat flesh at all, that I may not make my brother stumble.” (1 Corinthians 8:13) So even if no Bible law or principle is involved, how loving it is to consider others when making personal decisions that could affect the unity of God’s family!

*** w89 4/1 p. 13 Hear What the Spirit Says to the Congregations ***
    12 Jesus also warned the congregation in Pergamum against those “holding fast the teaching of Balaam.” (Revelation 2:14) What teaching was this? Someone in Pergamum was corrupting Christians there in the same way that Balaam corrupted the Israelites in the wilderness: by encouraging them “to eat things sacrificed to idols and to commit fornication.” (Numbers 25:1-5; 31:8) Jesus warned the congregation in Thyatira against “that woman Jezebel.” This woman too was teaching Christians “to commit fornication and to eat things sacrificed to idols.” (Revelation 2:20) Has Satan tried to introduce a Balaam or a Jezebel influence into the Christian congregation today? He certainly has, to the extent that almost 40,000 a year are disfellowshipped, most because of immorality. What a tragedy! Both Balaam-like men and Jezebel-like women have rebelled against the elders and tried to corrupt the congregation. May we resist such unclean influences with all our might!—1 Corinthians 6:18; 1 John 5:21.

That's a little I found on what you mentioned Classicist

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I remember seeing in one of St. Paul's letters his admonition not to eat anything sacrificed to idols. My knowledge of Greco-Roman religion is sketchy, but you could do some more research as to why Paul had to say that.

The reason was that most trades operated around the local pagan temple - so the butchers sold meat for sacrifices, carpenters carved the idols etc. When you became a Christian therefore, it really was a total change in the way of life because your conscience wouldn't allow you to do anything connected with idol worship and you would effectively go out of business as a result. Thats probably one reason why they stuck closer together and 'held everything in common' Sorry if the quote doesn't appear - I'm no good with computer stuff!

• bob1999
    bob1999

Romans 14:5-7 One should read the whole chapter......or,even the whole book.

• inquirer
    inquirer

I find it disapointing in general about the fact there is not much info given on FIRST CENTURY CHRISTIANITY! I mean God-bless Josephus and a couple other people... for giving info... But I mean there really isn't that much info. There is no "instruction booklet" that Paul left behind... to give us more info regarding understanding the Scriptures. I don't want to sound heretical... but the Greek Scriptures really is quite general and there is only hints and clues in my opinion. An awful lot of time was spent quoting Hebrew Scripture. Just my opinion.

• bob1999
    bob1999

I'm not sure the first century Christians knew anything more, or had anything more "right" than we do today. I think Paul did leave an "instruction booklet", Romans. Paul talks about the gentiles not knowing the law but through their faith and love they "are a law unto themselves" Romans 2:14 I think the whole point is to love one another and have faith. I can find only two commandments that we, who are not under the law but under grace, need to obey; Love God and love our fellow man as we love ourselves. The bible says that by doing this, the law is fulfilled. To me, the whole point of not being under the law says that we don't need a instruction booklet. The wonderful thing about Gods love and grace is the more you believe you are saved, the more you will act like it. No one needs to tell us right from wrong. It was built in, when man eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. We are saved by faith, not works. How would a instruction booklet helf us do the right thing when the right thing needs to come from the heart, not the head. Keep the faith, love one another and love God and know that you ARE saved.....it really is that simple..... Peace

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    bob1999 said: How would a instruction booklet helf us do the right thing when the right thing needs to come from the heart, not the head.

That is a beautiful line. Thanks for that.

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit