Had a jw non-father's day today

by georgefoster 8 Replies latest social family

• georgefoster
    georgefoster

My jw step-son (age 7) asked me if today was father's day. I said no. Then he brought me a present. JW wife stayed in the other room. Nobody said what the present was for or "happy father's day". It's just weird. I wish they wouldn't do anything if they think its that bad. Is this normal for jws to tip-toe around the holidays to appease the non-jws?

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I dunno.

When I was 16, I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels around Christmas or New Years & gave it to my Dad with a red bow on top of the bottle. We cracked it open & had a drink. I think that's the only 'holiday' we ever marked together.

Mrs. O asked me today what I wanted for Father's Day. I told her that in spite of the fact that she has asked me twice this week, I had no clue. I dunno if I want to go play golf tomorrow or if I want to get drunk & watch golf or NASCAR or go fishing or ... damn, whatever. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

• Swan
    Swan

Oh, that's so sweet!

Tammy

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I think that a lot of times they do tiptoe around it especially when kids are involved. Kids see their friends at school doing all this cool and fun stuff, and the kids feel left out. Plus, the non-JW mate feels really left out too, and it's of course no fault of their own. I'd be glad that they're as sensitive to what you want, it's rare.

Kwin

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

hehe... reminds me of how my family would have "Turkey Day". Oddly enough Turkey Day always just-so-happened to fall on a day very near Thanks Giving.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Well, happy non Father's day, or whatever. It would be nice to know you just gave him a hug and told him that

everyday is Father's Day, but this day is really special. What kind of relationship do you have with the kid? You

can make a real impression on him, just by showing him Non JW love. Boys, especially, need to have a man

in their lives who isn't afraid to show feelings.

AuntieJane

• shera
    shera

I didn't grow up to be a JW and I know I still did lil things for the 4/5 yrs I was involved.

Perhaps they are re-thinking everything..

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

In answer to your question, NO! In all the cases i remember, JW's actively make a point of informing non-jw's that they dont celebrate this or that.

Its very sweet tho.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    hehe... reminds me of how my family would have "Turkey Day". Oddly enough Turkey Day always just-so-happened to fall on a day very near Thanks Giving.

Same o'er here. But sometimes, Turkey Day coincided with Christmas holidays. Excuse: "the turkey was on sale." Granted, on holidays, people are usually off work so its easier for families, in the larger ense, to get together.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit