Do Mormons have "History Studies" with new potential converts?

by hubert 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hubert
    hubert

The history study subject has come up lately concerning J.w.'s, which got me to thinking, is there a History Study for Mormons?

If so, do they have a "history" book that they use?

The j.w.'s have their "Proclaimers" book, right?

So what would the Mormons use, if they do History studies?

Hubert

• Rod P
    Rod P

Hubert,

The Mormons are big on their Church History. They have many volumes about Church History. They offer courses in Church History at their Brigham Young University. (I have been out of the LDS Church for some time now, but it would not surprise me if they had all kinds of material available online respecting Church History.)

The thing is, though, you would be well advised to also read non-Mormon source materials on Mormon Church History for some different perspectives, as the Mormon Church writes all of their materials from a perspective that supports their viewpoint only. There is also evidence that a number of things have been kept out of their Church History, or that their history has been re-written and edited in a number of places that are pretty embarrassing to the Church, even incriminating.

Public libraries often have a good cross-section of books on Mormonism. The Internet will lead you to all kinds of sites on Church History, both pro and con, which is readily available.

Rod P.

• hubert
    hubert

Thanks, Rod.

I am not really into learning about the Mormon cult, but am interested in finding similarities between the W.T. and the Mormon cults.

What you just told me, is what I have been wondering about though, and really appreciate your input, because as a rebutal from a j.w., I could say, "The Mormons have History Studies, how come the Watchtower doesn't?

See what I am getting at? (Even though it may be doctored evidence), the Mormons will let new converts study their past, but will the j.w.'s let new converts study THEIR past?

That's what I'm interested in finding out.

Thanks again.

Hubert

• hooberus
    hooberus
    See what I am getting at? (Even though it may be doctored evidence), the Mormons will let new converts study their past, but will the j.w.'s let new converts study THEIR past?

That's what I'm interested in finding out

I believe that the Mormons (LDS) at times provide a small "history" book called "Truth Restored" by Gordon Hinckley to inquiring converts. Its fairly brief and glosses over many issues (such as Joseph Smith being armed and shooting some of his attackers during his final minutes).

Other LDS history publications (such as the 7 volume Joseph Smith History) despite being edited to remove some embarassing points (Ie: Joseph drinking) do contain some problematic issues for the LDS Church. Most converts however will not secure such detailed information.

In fact, many converts are not even vary familiar with some important LDS doctrines.

There are some striking similarities between the two groups such as:

• Early statements on the Pyramid that seem similar.
    • God the Father can only be in one place at a time.
    • God the Father residing at a certain location in the Universe (the star Alcyone - JW's), (near the star Kolob - LDS).
  • hubert
    hubert

Hooberus, All I can say right now is,....WOW!!!

I knew about the j.w.'s star system Alcyone, but didn't know about the Mormons star system ...Kolob !!

Great news !! Thanks!

Hubert

• hmike
    hmike

Where's Qcmbr for this topic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit