“New light” in everyday life.

by zagor 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zagor
    zagor

My sister had to borrow some money, around $500 from this “brother” which she was going to return of course. But she was getting married, and dub said "well you don’t have to return that money it is your wedding gift." Needless to say she was really happy and drilled my mind about JW being good people. (oh yes he said that in front of group of other dubs which made him look like a real ace)

Anyho, today he turned up at the door, I said can I help you. Well he wanted my sister and beside couldn’t talk to me (because of “obvious” reasons)

So sis came out:

Here is the conversation:
    BRO: you know XXXXX about those $500 you owe me?
    SIS: yes, what’s the problem?
    BRO: well, it is about the time for you to return what you owe me, I have my own thing to pay to you know.
    SIS: well, oh, ok.
    ME: didn’t you give her that money for her wedding?
    BRO: well, hm,
    ME: man you gave you word.
    BRO: yes but I’ve had change in circumstances
    SIS: its ok
    ME: no it’s not ok, I thought when Jehovah’s Witness gives his word that is it just as Jesus said.
    BRO: Well, something changed.
    ME: so what you've said before wasn't the truth then?
    BRO: Yes it was. But things changed…
    ME So what you’ve said back then was only a “current truth” was it and as soon as you’ve had “new light” you could change it at will. Unfortunately for XXXXX that sounds only like a new lie now.
    BRO: no it wasn’t lie
    ME: oh just shut up.
    SIS: Its ok brother YYYY I’ll tell CCCC (her husband) to get some money from ATM when he comes home tonight.

Imagine that….

Did you ever have similar experience?

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I remember a brother borrowing $500 from my mom when I was little. I don't think they ever paid it back. My mom being the saint she is didn't worry about it and said that if she had it to lend then she had it to give. It just really bothered me that they owed my mom $500 and wouldn't pay it back, but could buy cars and motorcycles all the time.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It is precisely for this same reason they now tell people to "get things in writing" when having somebody do some kind of work for you.

What you have experienced is typical when dealing with them. They are very unreliable and experience "amnesia" when something doesn't go their way. Not to mention the fact that they change like night and day. Even though you can have this sort of "misunderstanding" with any friend, even "worldly", it is more likely to happen with dubs.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The 2004 District Convention had a part that specifically discussed this kind of problem.

The main point of the talk was to discourage JWs from doing business with each other... apparently they cannot be trusted and far too many lawsuits are being filed between JWs. Oh, and it brings reproach on Jehover's name to sue your fellow JW brother.

• Netty
    Netty

What in the world?? This wasn't business though, he just gave her the money, and in front of witnesses (double meaning I guess right now I dont mean dubs, even though they all were dubs). I dont think she should pay him. She should also report him to the elders, (I know ikk, but where else can she go?) You cant give something to someone, and then turn around and say I take it back. Maybe she would have never accepted the money, if she knew she had to repay it.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

If his circumstances have changed, he should ask your sister if he can borrow the money. Asking for a gift back shows a lack of class. Trying to claim a right to have it back - as he is doing - is despicable.

• lilybird
    lilybird

sounds like he wanted to look like a wonderful generous guy in that moment in front of friends, but never really meant what he said.Its your sister's decision what she should do. I hope she realizes that not all Dubs can be trusted just because they claim to be a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit