Defining the Decades- 1900 thru 2005

by Rod P 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Rod P
    Rod P

All of us were born in the 1900's. During this past Century, the Earth has been incredibly impacted, and Societies around the world have been irrevocably altered.

Everyone has been powerfully influenced- at the individual level, the family level, the community level, the regional level, national level and global level. In fact, we could say that most of this actually defines who we are, and how we see ourselves and others.

One of the problems is, how do we make sense of where we actually fit in history. Do we understand where we have come from? In other words, why were you born in the 1940's instead of the 1950's? or the 1960's instead of the 1970's? and so on. Would you have been a different person had you been born a decade earlier, or a decade later?

Well, to start with, let's look at some of the Categories or Compartments with which we could discuss these impacts and influences. Let's look at the Culture of our "Birth Decade", which would include things like Music, Art, Theater, Dance, Opera, Movies. Then, let's also look at other categories like Politics & War, Sports, Science and Religion of our "Birth Decade". (I may have missed one or two categories, so feel free to include others). Within these Categories, we need to mention the most influential Personalities, the most Significant Events that occurred, the Social Trends that were at work at the time, major works or titles that were produced in that decade, and so on.

Now, what about those of us who were born in the middle of a decade, say 1965 instead of 1960? For this reason, I think it would be good to cover the 2 decades surrounding our birthdates. For example, I was born in 1943. So I am going to focus on the 1940's and the 1950's, because that is the time period that influenced me the most "growing up" (i.e. the formative years).

Similarly for you. If a "new phenomenon" was coming on stream during the first 20 or so years of your life, then you should include that as an influence. [Incidentally, you can include what happened when you became J.W. (unless born into it)].

This is not intended to be some list of interesting factoids in history. It is about how certain things have influenced you in growing up within the context of the "World Stage" at the various levels of influence.

This discussion is now open. It ought to be very interesting!

Rod P.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

1960s - flower power, rise of pop culture, full employemnt and economic growth, a man on the moon, much more challenge and protests against our religious masters - a defining decade without a doubt

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

1960s - flower power, rise of pop culture, full employemnt and economic growth, a man on the moon, much more challenge and protests against our religious masters - a defining decade without a doubt

• Rod P
    Rod P

The year was 1943 in Alberta, Canada. World War II was still over two years away from ending. So why wasn't my dad away from home, fighting the Germans or the Japanese?

He was a converted J.W. who escaped the draft because the Doctor diagnosed him with a heart murmer. All of the other eligible male JW's were in jail for refusing to go to war. They were, of course, "Conscientious Objectors".

My dad was 18 years old when he married my mother at the age of 16. In the zeal of his youth, he was given the position of "Company Servant" (which is now referred to as "Presiding Overseer"). He was earning about $20.00 a week as an apprentice to become a Machinist for the Canadian Pacific Railway. He worked on the old Steam Engines and often visited the sites of train wrecks for repair work.

Between the financial struggles, and the assuming of full responsibilities over a JW Congregation (being the only eligible male who was allowed to be in a leadership position), this was a recipe for a disastrous marriage. My mother got fed up with the whole thing and decided she had had enough, and so she just took off, abandoning us all. In essence, this was a case of a couple of kids trying to raise a couple of babies (me and my little brother).

At age three, I got billeted out to a JW couple who lived on a farm some 45 miles from town. I remember being awestruck in Grade one, when for the first time I saw a black and white movie on the school gymnasium wall from a film projector. I went up to the wall and blocked the picture while I felt the wall. How could pictures move on a wall? It was a total mystery to me.

There was no television; only the radio. I can still remember Patty Page singing "Lady in Blue" (or was it "Blue Lady"?). Then there was her song "Mocking Bird Hill". I also remember the "Blue Barrel Polka". Oh, and the "I Don't Want Her, You Can Have Her, She's Too Fat for Me" Polka. Further, I seem to recall "I'm Looking Over a Four-Leaf Clover" and "White Cliffs of Dover" by Vera Lynn. This is all I can remember from Grade One. Hey, what can you expect from a six-year-old?

Rod P.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I don't mean to derail the thread, but when I saw the title and started reading I immediately thought of the 00's and 10's - what do you call them??
    After all the 20s - 90s are easy on the tongue (with the ***-ies), but the tens and zeros ???

Can you imagine a kid born this year saying they were born in the zeros? It just doesn't sound right

• scotsman
    scotsman

LT

It's the Noughties. I would have thought you'd know, but then I did see a confession to listening to Europe 5,4,3,2....

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I prefered the naughties, but there ya go.
    I actually liked that track!

(for those wondering what the heck we're on about - "The Final Countdown" by Europe 1986)

• Rod P
    Rod P

Little Toe,

Thinking about what you said, I really do not expect someone on JWD Forum to be between 95 and 105 years old, which they would be if they were born between 1900 and 1910. But in case there are some, the Noughtees sound pretty good to me! (although Naughties might be better).

Now for 1911 thru 1919, what to call them. I don't know; how about the "Teensies"? LOL

Rod P.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sorry for derailing your thread Rod.
    There's some details from some of us who grew up (at least in part) in the 70s, on this thread:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/92065/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit