"Of course you can ask questions - even the Watchtower asks them!"

by steve2 4 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Do you have stories - past and present - about being completely floored by JWs responses to your predicament?

I don't have many. But there have been at least a handful of exchanges in which I knew, even before 30 seconds had elapsed that the exchange was going nowhere fast.

Just over 20 years ago, my dear JW aunty had heard from another source that I had doubts about the Watchtower Society. I would never have dared tell her or my uncle because they were "very strong in the truth". She phoned me and without even asking me how I was, got straight to the point:

"Steve, I heard that you said that you cannot ask questions in Jehovah's organization. Of course you can ask questions - even the Watchtower asks questions!"

Flabbergasted by her steam-rollered opening sentence, I replied in a squeaky little voice,

"What do you mean?"

She thundered her reply:

"You know perfectly well what I mean: The questions at the bottom of the page of the study articles!"

I must have weakly agreed with her - I can't remember exactly how the call ended. But right then I just knew she lack the capacity to ever understand what it was like to be harrassed by doubt - and in one strange sense I admired her bombastic "innocence" almost as much as I feared her simpleminded dogmatism.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I can't decide whether I find this very funny or very sad.

The Watchtower asking questions....lol - only to reinforce and instil their OWN teachings.

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Asking the Watchtower a serious question, puts the spotlight on you, especially when the Watchtower isn't ready for the question.

In 1976 I asked the question why hasn't armageddon come, yet?

What do you mean Christ isn't our Mediator? Without a mediator why pray?

I can't recall, but I believe in the, "Prince of Peace," where it says that the 144,000 may be part mediatorship with Christ. Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong. A few JWs discovered whom I was and won't give me any literature on it.

Anyway since the commettee couldn't Df'd me, they did it to my ex-wife. I knew they, brothers lied, so I've been a theological researcher on the Watchtower, alone.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Technically she is correct! You CAN ask all the questions you want, the catch is that you MUST accept the answers they give you - no matter how absurd they are.

• Netty
    Netty

thats almost as sad as when they protest that they DO research their own religion, using watchtower publications only...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit